Don’t Assume My Topic Thread

Appreciate it, I wasn’t even aware there was one in Bellville.

1 Like

Ah that sucks man, hopefully this will be enough to get her to finalise things. I’m sure you more than over it.

2 Likes

Okay people of mew, i need advise on where to go away, want to take my SO somewhere for easter weekend but am struggling to find anything slightly romantic thats not booked or that isnt going to cost me half my salary :rofl: if anyone knows of something around jhb please let me know :hugs:

Also hi, im not dead just lurking in my anti social ways sending everyone good vibes and healing

3 Likes

Why JHB specifically, I thought you was in EC?

1 Like

Happy Wednesday!

:grinning::wave:

2 Likes

Nah I’m in jhb, wish I was EC, there are such nice getaway places there

1 Like

Good evening everyone. Or is it morning. I don’t know anymore. My daughter is teething and I have only slept 4 hours in 2 days. Time is an illusion within an enigma today. I saw sound and tasted colours. Back to bed with me.

4 Likes

Aaah the joys of parenthood. The wife has been jonesing for a third (hopeful for a girl), but me pushing 40 I don’t know if I can go back to that phase.

2 Likes

We kinda mutually decided we don’t have the time or energy for a second child. We’re keeping the doors open so to speak, but we’re not planning or anticipating another.

2 Likes

This!! We’ve also decided that we’re a one and done kind of family. My wife is also a bit older than I am so it’s also getting more and more dangerous. But I miss sleep too much to have another child.

2 Likes

Maybe check out https://www.mountain-sanctuary.co.za/

You could book into one of their cosy cottages or chalets. There’s some nice hiking trails and you can swim in the natural rivers. Take a picnic and find a nice spot along the river for a nice romantic afternoon.

1 Like

Im stuck, need to somehow prepare dad’s friends for when they see him now for the first time, and to try and explain to them that he isn’t coherent most of the time, that when he does talk sense its short periods, that he might not remember them and to take it slow, his brain takes a while to process most things. Its why he is struggling to follow commands plus he just doesn’t want to do basic things because in his head he knows he can do it, why should he do it like a trained monkey - that is something we discussed with his team today.

Personally Im petrified, there is no promises of what he will be able to achieve on his own, and I have made peace with most of it. But Im scared that if I find a full time job, that mum wont be able to cope, we know we will need outside assistance especially at first. But at least we have 6 - 8 weeks that he will be staying at the rehab, maybe even longer if that is what is required and depending on what the medical aid will cover.

My biggest fear is just how will we cope, and do it all. I just hate this helpless feeling, even tho I see positives, I also know it will take years for a recovery. Im taking things day by day, I think the meeting today was just more of a reassurance that I am not imagining things, and that even tho its minute,there is progress.

My other thing is I remind myself that he has a good day with us one day, the next day a bad one with us but good with my brothers, and so on, and those good days add up to more good than bad days. The sad part is a good day is when you can follow his train of thought and figure out what he is talking about.

5 Likes

That is hectic @Wyvern

I think if you explain it to them just as you have here, they should be able to have some understanding. I’m sure that seeing his friends will give a boost to your dad, even if it is awkward at times.

Did your dad have life cover? I know many policies also cover disability. Your dad’s condition would certainly qualify for a payout and maybe even a monthly benefit? That would help the family cope on the road ahead.

4 Likes

We are trying now to get my brother set as his power of attorney, since he isn’t capable of making his own decisions, then we will find out what policies and so forth he has, cos he kept us in the dark with regards to that.

2 Likes

That will be good.

1 Like

Bear in mind that if there is no loving will or anything similar, the spouse defaults as the power of attorney.

Also remember that while you’re feeling responsible to prep your dad’s friends, you are not. It’ll help if you can explain to them, but the rehab team is excellent at preparing friends and family with regards to what to expect and how to act. Use them as much as you need to for your own sanity.

4 Likes

Good Thursday morning all.

:grinning::wave:

2 Likes

Morning y’all.

On leave for today and tomorrow, unsure if a good thing or not.

3 Likes

Morning people of the palace, hope you have a great day

2 Likes

Days off are always a good thing. Relax. Recharge. Refocus.

1 Like