Dragon Age: The Veilguard (DA4)

I’m a big fan of all the Dragon Age games. The first one was by far the best and the other two had some issues but I still enjoyed them. I have zero trust in Bioware these days but I can always hope that Dragon Age 4 will be good.

At least they decided to drop the whole live services thing and focus on single player.

It doesn’t look like the Youtube previews are working.

Greg did go and fix them - the short link shares are working…

Thanks, @GregRedd !

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Enabling new forum features after upgrade to Discourse 2.7.0beta5

Dragon Age Origins was and still is the best game in the series by far. It’s also one of the best games BioWare ever made, probably one of the last great BioWare games before they went a bit downhill.

I’m also not too hyped for this after Andromeda and Anthem but I’m still interested for sure.

1 Like

Give me the story and world of origin, with the combat of 2 and I will be good

Didn’t finish the original Dragon Age (probably because I was playing too much Battlefield: Bad Company 2.) but I think I did enjoy what I did play.

2 Likes

Actually, I’m still hopeful for this. If I remember correctly, I was more than happy with Dragon Age 3. I played it twice and in fact, I think it might actually be my favourite. It provides the hybrid between live action and the strategic view of Dragon Age 1 (if I’m remembering this correctly) and in this case the Frostbite engine actually worked quite well.

With Dragon Age 2 being the semi-exception, I think the Dragon Age series has actually been quite good overall. It is Mass Effect that they keep screwing up.

1 Like

And then there is me who has never played even one Dragon Age

I enjoyed all 3 of them. The lore in the Dragon Age games are outstanding. It’s not often that you’ll find me reading notes and books and things that you find in game but with the Dragon Age games I read everything because it’s so well thought out and interesting.

2 Likes

DAO was the last of the true Bioware before the EA influence became very clear.
The other 2 were ok action rpg’s but not the true crpg bw used to offer.

2 Likes

Coincidentally relevant article posted by IGN earlier today:

2 Likes

Name has been changed to Dragon age the Veilguard. Personally not happy with changes to combat at all…

I agree with pcgamer’s take:

1 Like

Looks pretty amazing.

Its game play looks and sounds like mass effect elven instead of Dragon age…
Can only hope the story and characters make up for this…
I am sure those who prefer more action orientated games will love it but that’s not what I want from a da game…

1 Like

I’ve read some “bad reviews” of the original trailer, people mentioning the hero-style graphics and so on. One quote that I found funny was along the lines of “You either die as Dragon Age or you live long enough to become Fortnite”.

Personally, it feels like ages since we’ve had a Dragon Age game so at this stage I’ll take what I can get. I obviously hope they don’t screw up the story or anything, but I do grant that technology and graphics have come a long way since the last game. So given that, I’m quite open to see new styles of gameplay and graphics (even though I really liked the previous Dragon Age games).

I think it looks amazing. I don’t know if I’m missing something but the combat doesn’t look that much different from Inquisition. The only difference I read about is you can no longer play as party members but you can apparently still give them commands in combat.

Wasn’t Inquisition already DA: Mass Effect? This seems to build on that. I’m down.

2 Likes

There was still a tactical option in DAI. There isn’t in Veilguard. There is also a vast difference from giving commands to being able to control exactly where you want your mage positioned and where you want the fireball to go,ect

3 Likes

RPG site had an interview with the game director talking RPG systems:

But wasn’t Dragon Age just Mass Effect with Dragons and Dwarves?

2 Likes

Haven’t you played Dragon Age?

Short answer: Not really.
Longer answer: The gameplay is quite different. In Dragon Age you can hit spacebar to pause everything, zoom out to get a view from the top, select each companion and give them their target or special ability to use or move them around the battlefield. You could even play as the companion. It is not so much “live action” as Mass Effect but it is actually a nice fit for the genre.

2 Likes

I saw a twitter post today where one of the devs said (this) Dragon Age is the complete inverse of Mass Effect, so there might be a sliver of hope for some in depth RPG mechanics.

1 Like