Elden Ring - Souls meets Ice & Fire

First announced way back in 2019 at the years E3 convention, Elden Ring is an upcoming action role-playing game being developed by FromSoftware and to be published by Bandai Namco.

The game is a collaborative effort between game director Hidetaka Miyazaki (the Souls series, Bloodborne) and fantasy novelist George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). The game was originally scheduled to be released on 21 January 2022, but it has just been delayed by a month with a new release date now of 25 February.

Elden Ring takes place in the realm of the Lands Between, sometime after the destruction of the titular Elden Ring and the scattering of its shards, the Great Runes. Once graced by the Ring and the Erdtree which symbolizes its presence, the realm is now ruled over by the demigod offspring of Queen Marika the Eternal, each possessing a shard of the Ring that corrupts and taints them with power. As a Tarnished — exiles from the Lands Between who lost the Ring’s grace — summoned back after the Shattering, players must traverse the realm to ultimately find all the Great Runes, restore the Elden Ring, and become the Elden Lord.

Elden Ring is an action role-playing game played in a third-person perspective and features elements similar to those found in its predecessor, the Souls series, with gameplay focusing on combat and exploration. Director Hidetaka Miyazaki explained that players start with a linear opening but will eventually progress to freely explore the Lands Between, including its six main areas, as well as castles, fortresses, and catacombs scattered throughout the vast open-world map. These main areas are interconnected through a central hub that players can access later in the game’s progression — similar to Firelink Shrine from Dark Souls — and will be explorable using the character’s mount as the main mode of transport, although a fast travel system will be an available option. Throughout the game, players will encounter non-player characters (NPCs) and enemies alike, including the demigods who rule each main area and will serve as the game’s main bosses.

Combat in Elden Ring relies heavily on character-building elements found in previous Soulsborne games, such as calculated, close-ranged melee-based combat with the use of skills, magic abilities, as well as blocking and dodging mechanics. Elden Ring will introduce mounted combat and a stealth system, the latter being a core gameplay element from their previous game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice; these features are expected to encourage players in strategizing their combat approach with each unique enemy they encounter.

Find out more on the official site:

No pre-order or pricing info available yet (that I can find), but the game has Store Pages up on Steam, PlayStation and Xbox already. Steam and PS versions can be Wishlisted.

ELDEN RING on Steam (steampowered.com)

Elden Ring - PS4 & PS5 games | PlayStation South Africa

ELDEN RING | Xbox

1 Like

For those interested, there is also an upcoming opportunity to join a “Closed Network Test” of the game in November.

ELDEN RING Closed Network Test is a pre-verification test for the completion of the commercial version of the game.
This is a test to improve the quality of the product, and playing the network test will be free.
We are looking forward to your cooperation to make ELDEN RING even better.

Playable time zone is same in the world. Servers are open in the following 5 sessions:

・Session 1: 12 p.m. - 3 p.m., November 12th 2021 CET
・Session 2: 4 a.m - 7 a.m., November 13th 2021 CET
・Session 3: 8 p.m. - 11 p.m., November 13th 2021 CET
・Session 4: 12 p.m. - 3 p.m., November 14th 2021 CET
・Session 5: 4 a.m - 7 a.m., November 15th 2021 CET

If you want to take part in the Closed Test, you must register before 1 November!

2 Likes

Digital Pre-Order pricing is out now, with a release date of 25 February 2022.

Pre-orders get a digital Adventure Guide and a Bonus Gesture. Deluxe also gets a Digital Artbook and Original Soundtrack.

2 Likes

I still know nothing. Yay?

1 Like

Here’s the 20-odd minute Gameplay Preview that was also released a short while ago. It should tell you all you need to know.

1 Like

I meant that in a good way. I’ve experienced most, if not all the Souls (FromSoft) games as blind as possible. I haven’t really seen anything on this beside the E3 announcement trailer maybe.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. I get it. In that case though, you probably shouldn’t watch that gameplay video. :laughing:

2 Likes

The Storyteller speaks:

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s just lore - no gameplay spoils. :grinning:

1 Like

Lore is a spoiler, I wanna figure that shit out on my own :stuck_out_tongue: It’s one thing I’ve loved about Dark Souls is how convoluted and vague the story and item descriptions are.

2 Likes

Take the “Muted” option below the post tools and you’ll be safe
 :smiley:

2 Likes

One does not simply ignore, or mute, a FromSoft game!

2 Likes

I don’t normally pre-order or even buy games these days but

5 Likes

As much as I am curious about this, I am gonna be patient and wait for a sale.

1 Like

I sold my racing stand to @DieGrootHammer to buy this haha. :smiley:

4 Likes

yea I am at the point that selling a kidney might be a good idea :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

FOR SALE - KIDNEY - LADY DRIVER - GOOD PRICE - WILL TRADE FOR GAMES

5 Likes

I have one question for anyone who knows: is this another roll away fest? I’m not a fucking hobbit.

3 Likes