Endurance Racing

2 Likes

“That was a proper Code Brown moment!” :laughing:

2 Likes

Also, didnt the Iron Dames win? First all female P1?

1 Like

They won their class. Gold Cup Class I think it’s called. Finished P18 overall.

Mercs won and P2 the overall race for the first time since 2013.

3 Likes
4 Likes

On this, doesn’t Kelvin vdL drive in the 9 Hour as well?

1 Like

I’m sure he did a year or two ago. Not sure what or who he’s driving for this year, to be honest. (Other than as a guest driver for the FE team). His brother Sheldon is doing the Kyalami 9 Hour again this year in a GT3 Beemer.

The K9H field for this year is disappointingly small - just 13 entries. Still, a few local entries make a bigger field than Bathurst a few weeks ago. (For the IGTC, they had a lot more other non-series entries.)

1 Like

It is sad but I don’t blame people - most are stuck in Cpt traffic. . . .

1 Like

While the Ferrari F1 Team wades through its early season challenges, on the other side of the Ferrari facility, the Ferrari WEC Team have had a storming start to celebrate the Ferrari return to the WEC, opening the new season with their new 499P Hypercar taking pole for the season opener - the 1000 Miles of Sebring.

Fuoco claims sensational pole position on Ferrari AF Corse 499P debut at Sebring
Ferrari celebrates its return to the top class of global endurance racing in 50 years as AF Corse Ferrari takes pole for tomorrow’s 1000 Miles of Sebring, the season-opener to this year’s FIA WEC.

3 Likes

So, turns out #JustFerrariThings is not limited to F1.

2 Likes

Apologies, it was a Porsche. I saw the red paint, and put 2 and 2 together prematurely.

2 Likes

I think it was the Ferrari - #83 Richard Mille AF Corse from the GTE AM category. Driver okay.

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1636764374638510093?s=20

2 Likes

Ooooh yeah, the vid I found afterwards was clearly of a different incident. Mine has a Porche lose the case in a similar way, similar looking corner even, but not flip over.

1 Like

24 Hours of Le Mans 2023

This year’s Le Mans 24 Hours, the 91st staging of the race, is the centenary edition as it marks the 100th anniversary of its first running in 1923.

And the 2023 edition of the centrepiece World Endurance Championship round boasts a leading category of cars befitting of such an occasion, with 16 entries from seven brands in the Hypercar class that the outright winner will, bar a near-unprecedented set of circumstances, emerge from.

Looking through the Spotter Guide for this year I’m sad to say that I don’t see a single South African flag alongside any driver’s name.

The Hypercar class, with its record 16 entries, is packed with a lot of seriously good driver teams. All eyes will be on the Toyotas and Ferraris to see if their BOP weight additions will make for even closer racing than there’s been in the opening rounds of the season.

Official Spotter Guide and Entry List

Unofficial 2023 Le Mans Spotter Guide

The original high-res PDF files for both the Spotter Guides are too big to upload here. I’ve added them to my Google Drive if you’d like to have them instead of the converted images.

3 Likes

Ferrari denies Toyota a seventh consecutive 24 Hour of Le Mans pole!

The #50 Ferrari 499P will start the 24 Hours of Le Mans Centenary in pole position. Antonio Fuoco banked the fastest lap in the half-hour Hyperpole shoot-out. The #51 sister car was second fastest to lock out the front row of the grid in Saturday’s 24 Hours of Le Mans Centenary race.

Hypercar

1. #50 Ferrari 499P | Ferrari AF Corse – Antonio Fuoco*/Miguel Molina/Nicklas Nielsen – 3:22.982
  2. #51 Ferrari 499P | Ferrari AF Corse – Alessandro Pier Guidi*/James Calado/Antonio Giovinazzi – 3:23.755
  3. #8 Toyota GR010 Hybrid | Toyota Gazoo Racing – Sébastien Buemi/Brendon Hartley*/Ryō Hirakawa – 3:24.451
  4. #75 Porsche 963 | Porsche Penske Motorsport – Felipe Nasr*/Mathieu Jaminet/Nick Tandy – 3:24.531
  5. #7 Toyota GR010 Hybrid | Toyota Gazoo Racing – Mike Conway/Kamui Kobayashi*/José María López – 3:24.933
  6. #2 Cadillac V-Series.R | Cadillac Racing – Earl Bamber*/Alex Lynn/Richard Westbrook – 3:25.170
  7. #5 Porsche 963 | Porsche Penske Motorsport – Dane Cameron*/Michael Christensen/Frédéric Makowiecki – 3:25.176
  8. #3 Cadillac V-Series.R | Cadillac Racing – Sébastien Bourdais*/Renger Van Der Zande/Scott Dixon – 3:25.521

LMP2

1. #48 Oreca 07-Gibson | Idec Sport – Paul Lafargue/Paul-Loup Chatin*/Laurents Hörr – 3:32.923
  2. #28 Oreca 07-Gibson | JOTA – David Heinemeier-Hansson/Oliver Rasmussen/Pietro Fittipaldi* – 3:33.035
  3. #41 Oreca 07-Gibson | Team WRT – Rui Andrade/Robert Kubica/Louis Delétraz* – 3:33.240
  4. #47 Oreca 07-Gibson | Cool Racing – Reshad de Gérus*/Vladislav Lomko/Simon Pagenaud – 3:33.580
  5. #63 Oreca 07-Gibson | Prema Racing – Doriane Pin/Daniil Kvyat/Mirko Bortolotti* – 3:33.983
  6. #14 Oreca 07-Gibson | Nielsen Racing – Rodrigo Sales/Mathias Beche/Ben Hanley* – 3:34.021
  7. #9 Oreca 07-Gibson | Prema Racing – Bent Viscaal*/Juan Manuel Correa/Filip Ugran – 3:34.658
  8. #10 Oreca 07-Gibson | Vector Sport – Ryan Cullen/Gabriel Aubry*/Matthias Kaiser – 3:35.091

LMGTE Am

1. #33 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R | Corvette Racing - Nicky Catsburg/Ben Keating*/Nicolas Varrone – 3:52.376
  2. #25 Aston Martin Vantage AMR |ORT by TF – Ahmad Al Harthy*/Michael Dinan/Charlie Eastwood – 3:53.905
  3. #54 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo | AF Corse – Thomas Flohr*/Francesco Castellacci/Davide Rigon – 3:54.582
  4. #21 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo | AF Corse – Simon Mann*/Julien Piguet/Ulysse de Pauw – 3:54.744
  5. #83 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo | Richard Mille AF Corse – Luís Pérez Companc*/Alessio Rovera/Lilou Wadoux – 3:55.033
  6. #57 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo | Kessel Racing – Takeshi Kimura*/Scott Huffaker/Daniel Serra – 3:55.637
  7. #55 Aston Martin Vantage AMR | GMB Motorsport – Gustav Dahlmann Birch/Marco Sørensen/Jens Reno Møller* – 3:57.240
  8. #74 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo | Kessel Racing – Kei Cozzolino/Yorikatsu Tsujiko*/Naoki Yokomizo – 3:59.648

1 Like

Only Hypercars and LMGT3 machinery will be eligible to enter the WEC next season, with the long-standing LMP2 class a casualty of growing demand for grid slots in the rejuvenated top category.

The impending arrival of Lamborghini, BMW and Alpine in the top class for 2024, as well as boutique marque Isotta Fraschini, is expected to result in a top-class entry of up to 20 cars next season, with the full entry currently standing at 38 cars.

However, series organiser the Automobile Club de l’Ouest announced during its official press conference on Friday morning that a “minimum” of 15 slots on the grid will be reserved for the category for the Le Mans 24 Hours, as first signalled last December.

WEC to drop LMP2 class from 2024 (autosport.com)

1 Like

I think that is unfortunate… Those teams carried the WEC while the top guys all bailed.

2 Likes
1 Like

Live Timing

Race - 24 Hours of Le Mans (fiawec.com)

https://live.fiawec.com/en/live

Radio Le Mans Live

RS Player (radioshow.limited)

http://player.radioshow.limited/audioplayer.html

Livestreams

Radio Le Mans Studiovision

Onboard #50 Ferrari Hypercar

Onboard #51 Ferrari Hypercar

Onboard #8 Toyota GR010 Hybrid

Le Mans Live from the Scuderia Glickenhaus Team #708 / #709

Radar and precipitation nowcast for Le Mans
Variable weather for Le Mans from the Start. Dry on the Start, soaking wet around the corner at the first chicane.

Weather Today Le Mans - meteoblue

Live Broadcast Streams
These are pirate streams copying the official broadcast feeds. They will probably be closed down pretty quickly.

There’ll be many others that pop up and close down throughout the 24 hours. Search YT on the regular: Le Mans 24 Hours 2023 Live stream - YouTube

1 Like

Meh I gave up trying to follow any stream

1 Like