Epic vs Apple

When Epic Games released an updated version of Fortnite, one that circumvented the payment options in Apple’s App Store and Google Play, it created a battle between two huge companies. It didn’t take long for Apple to remove the game from its store, and Epic fired back immediately with an animated short that parodies Apple’s iconic “1984” commercial and a lawsuit soon after.

Epic started a looping live broadcast of their provocative “Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite” short parody on the official Fortnite YouTube channel about 10 minutes ago:

This Verge post is following the story and posting updates as they happen:

3 Likes

More coverage:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/13/fortnite-app-store-removed-apple/

2 Likes

Yes, Epic. I have joined the fight long ago. In fact, you are just as guilty as Apple with your corporate practices.

2 Likes

Was browsing The Verge last night and also saw this. Wrote up a summary article for the front page.

Sorry, @GregRedd, there isn’t an easy way to merge the two discussions without the comments under the article looking wonky.

Here’s the article topic:

2 Likes

Is no worries. It deserves a dedicated front page post - I was just way too tired and lazy to bother doing that last night.

2 Likes
3 Likes

This might mean Apple will eventually have to relax their policies on IAPs and game streaming services on their devices. I honestly hope the jury sides with Epic in this battle, which I have a feeling would end up being the case.

2 Likes