Extreme Makeover Monitor Edition

Cross-posting from what I said in #threadkiller this morning (The 10,000 Best Forum Posts on the Internet Right Now!):

The Asus VG248QE seems to be out of stock everywhere, but the new challenger to the crown of cheapest 1080p 144Hz monitor is AOC. I treated myself to the AOC 24G2 (from Wootware) and it got delivered yesterday. Love it so far!

At the start of last year I first experienced 144Hz on our Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop screens and I could not go back to using my old desk monitor as my primary gaming display. So my Samsung T240 became my secondary screen while my laptop’s 15" 144Hz monitor became my primary display. Totally backwards!

In hindsight, I should have maybe gone for a 27" monitor, but they are just so much more expensive!

3 Likes

My Samsung T240 was the best monitor I’ve ever owned. Man I miss the days when WUXGA resolution screens were the most affordable widescreen monitors! 1080p totally ate the market :frowning:

2 Likes

Last year in September I had the opportunity to upgrade my monitor. I’d been using a 27" Samsung S27B550, which could overclock to 75Hz, for a good few years but the prospects of higher refresh rates was calling to me. Since I was already on 27" I didn’t want to go smaller than that. The options were indeed quite pricey but in the end I found a good deal on carbonite and landed up getting a DELL S2719DGF 27" QHD 155Hz.

27" inches of high refresh rate goodness with the added bonus of 1440p for less than a new 27" 144Hz 1080p monitor.

I’m loving the smoothness of high refresh and free-sync. It makes a big difference in the user experience of games.

2 Likes