F1 24 - EA Sports F1 Games

Did the Weekly Event GP thing too last night. Not nearly as enjoyable as the others though.

Qualified 7th, so right in the middle of all the T1 kak. Got a great start (for a change!) moving up to P5 and, expecting first turn chaos, went very wide on the outside of T1. Didn’t help. Got rammed by not just one, but two over eager drivers from behind and side on, spun around back onto the track and had a third clip my front wing. (Not his fault really, he had nowhere else to go.)

Managed to get pointed in the right direction, limped round to the pits. Got there just as the leader lapped me. Slow stop to change tyres and the front wing, back on track in P18 and lapped by the P7 car.

Did the rest of the race on that set of Mediums. Managed to catch and pass one on the track and one more while they were in the pits. Was keeping pace with and then unlapped myself when P6 and P7 both ran wide in T5/T6. Pretty lonely mid-race with 30s to the car behind me, 10s to the one ahead for most of it.

Tyres were shot for my last 3 laps and was very slow and gentle. Played nice with the blue flags (assume you get warnings and eventually penalties if you ignore them?) even though I was gaining 2 seconds per lap on the car ahead of me - his tyres must have been in worse shape than mine, or he had a different problem.

Didn’t notice it but I guess a car somewhere ahead of me retired as I eventually finished the race in P15. 153K points, rank #3040, top 29% at the time.

Was going to try it again, (the event thing said there was still 7 hours remaining) so went to spend 20 mins doing TT laps to practice. But when I went back to the event the Race button was disabled and said “no more races”.

So either I miss timed it, or once you leave the event screen it locks in your result, which was a bit of a downer. I’m fairly sure I could have done a little better given another shot at it,) and with a fair bit more luck through T1!) but a good bit of fun nonetheless.

Didn’t make me anymore eager to try public multiplayer though. Why are online racing games always such a cluster fuck in public lobbies?

2 Likes

Well done @oltman and @Solitude with the event. Unfortunately I did not have the same luck with the multiplayer.

I ended up both my tries on the front row. The first time I as in pole position, and got yeeted into another dimension on turn one, broke a wing, and in the spin got black flagged for causing a colision. But I was a passenger and couldn’t do anything.

The second time I was in second place on the grid. Got a good turn one, only to be hit from the back at T3, ending the race again before it properly started. It sucks that I got such a shitty lobby with a bunch of asshats that don’t know what breaking lines are.

I’ll try the next event, hopefully it will be better.

4 Likes

On the subject of shitty braking…

After the let down of the weekly event last night, I went to retry Baku in my career game again and realized that part of the reason I’m losing a lot of time is because I’m finding I have to brake very early into a lot of the tighter corners just to make the corner. Way earlier than the AI even in most corners.

My braking action is pretty smooth, no lockups generally, and I checked the brake pedal response does register to 100% when fully pressed.

So I went looking for brake settings to adjust and got hella confused. Should I be changing things in the car set up - brake bias or brake pressure? Or should I be making changes to my FFB settings - brake saturation or dead zone or the other one I can’t remember?

Any suggestions anyone?

2 Likes

@GregRedd, on the topic of breaking.

Baku is a track where you need to have much higher break pressure than normal. On normal tracks you can easy onto the breaks and let the car roll through the corner, hoping to scrub off more speed during the turn and managing understeer.

At Baku, most of the breaking zones are for 90 degree turns, so you need strong break pressure. I changed my setup to have 90% break pressure which helped me dive-bomb a lot of cars.

Also check break bias. Lockups happen if you are not finesse enough on the break pedal on initial breaking. Shifting the break bias towards the back will help with this, but will lower the initial breaking energy. I had my breaking bias on 56% for Baku, and it felt fine.

Finally, when changing these elements of breaking, think about body roll as well. Higher breaking pressure will cause the car to dip on the front suspension more than normal. Either stiffen the front suspension to counteract this, or embrace the body roll. It depends on your driving style and how you feel most comfortable with.

2 Likes

Motorsport.com, under their “eSports” category have been playing F1 2019. Their reporter simulated an 8-year career run to see what impact the newly added Driver Transfer feature would have. It’s a pretty long and detailed read, but concludes:

It’s clear that chronicling the driver transfers over an eight-season span in career mode betrays a feature in its infancy. Real F1 is no stranger to shocks but a lot of these moves give off the impression of a random number generator throwing a series of tantrums, rather than an eco-system of numerous computer-controlled organisation that you’d find in something like Football Manager.

This is not helped by the fact the grid remains largely static throughout. None of the F2 drivers that are already in the game make an appearance, and the possibility of drivers retiring - touted by the player character’s agent when she introduces the concept of drivers moving teams - isn’t exactly realised.

Stroll is alone in dropping out, while veterans like Kubica and Raikkonen keep on trucking, presumably well into their 50s. Meanwhile, it also becomes clear that while the stats determining car performance change from season to season, the same cannot be said for the stats behind driver performance.

And yet, does having driver transfers in this form add anything to the game? Absolutely. Though a healthy suspension of disbelief is required, the addition of driver transfers easily makes this career mode the best the series has had to offer, simply by delivering the sensations of change and surprise that are such an essential part of the F1 fan experience - and were so sorely missing from the previous versions of the game. There’s a certain strange delight in seeing a familiar driver in unfamiliar colours, even if it’s just a video game version.

Read the full story here:

2 Likes

So those who did the Weekly Event - you need to check your in-game messages and Claim your rewards. You get 6 days to do so, so it shouldn’t be a problem, but you must select the mail and individually claim the Coins and the Trophy.

I’m very surprised at my result - presumably a lot of people did not complete the race or weren’t able to try again like me.

My first trophy - pragtig ne?! And “Elite” nogal too.

The new Weekly is live already for Practice and Qualifying - it’s at Silverstone obviously.

1 Like

Unfortunately I get an error when I try to access the mail. This one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/928600/discussions/0/1639790664936898262/

But some really good news! I did my event race yesterday and came second! Woohoo! I was so happy. It feels a bit like cheating though because there were only 4 humans in the race. The rest were all AI. Plus I was in third for most of the race and then the guy in first made a mistake and a couple of us passed him.

I just tried to drive a clean race. Had a good start from fourth in the grid and stayed on the road during the whole race. Looked after my tyres and kept my concentration up throughout so that I didn’t spin out again. It helped a lot that it wasn’t raining.

1 Like

Not sure if that error is a temporary glitch or something more serious. Just checked my in game mail and was able to open my rewards message and claim without issues. Hopefully it works for you soon too.

My Weekly GP was similar to yours - with only 4 human drivers. Even so, started second, got a great start, was ahead of P1 and on the inside of T1 well before we got to the corner, but he still felt the need to drive into me :frowning: Another long, slow limp all the way around the circuit to get back to the pits for new front wing. Made it my required pitstop as well and managed to get out just ahead of the pack coming round to start the next lap. Solid drive from there, easy passes on the AI once I’d caught back up, Safety Car and the other drivers pitting helped me get back up to P3. Was doing 1 second faster laps than P2, caught him on the second last lap at the start of the Hangar Straight, got DRS and was alongside him on the inside going into the braking zone. And of course, he decides he doesn’t want to be passed there and knocks me into a spin off the circuit. Why do these chops have to be such chops? Anyway, badly damaged front wing for the rest of the race, struggled to keep any speed in the fast corners, but did hold onto to P3 at the end.

Scored very badly compared to you, which I’m not sure why as it looks like we had similar Quali times and similar races. But despite that, like last week, my reward was granted as “Elite” and I got the max Competition Coins of 1500? So I really don’t understand it all.

As a heads up - the new Weekly Challenge is Monaco. In Classic F1 cars. How fun is that going to be in Multiplayer? :expressionless: Don’t know if I’m even going to bother…

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the bad people that you raced with @GregRedd. I know @DieGrootHammer has also been very unlucky with the online races.

I’ve had two now without any problems so I’ve been very lucky. Not sure how the scores are worked out. Hmmm and I can’t remember if my previous trophy was elite or not. Must go check. I really hope they can fix the mail problems.

Monaco is my worst track. It’s so hard. Will try it out though. But first it’s our league! Will have to go look at the track tonight.

1 Like

Oh no! I was so busy watching the real thing I forgot to do my event!

2 Likes

Monaco is so annoying. Qualified for the event last night but there were AI drivers in the way every time I tried to set a qualifying lap.

2 Likes

I really hate Monaco. I retired from the race in career mode, and was so grateful that it is behind me. And then the weekly race is Monaco! Urgh!

3 Likes

Anyone know if you have to do the Practice and Qualifying for the Weekly Event? If you miss the deadline will you still be able to do the Race itself, even if it is from the back of the grid?

I have no idea.

1 Like

I really really dislike Monaco. I ended 19th. Should have been 20th but someone disconnected. I had to replace my wing 3 times. It’s my own fault but still.

Before I started the Monaco race I was doing some time trial practice for our league. Big mistake. The difference between the 2019 car and the classic cars is huge. I broke my wing at the very first corner.

1 Like

Did mine as well just now. Only 4 human players again and got lucky with P2 on the grid. Got a good start for a change and managed to get through T1 ahead of the carnage. Took the rest a while to sort themselves out and it gave me almost 15 seconds lead by the end of L1, with most of the AI between me and the other players. Made a couple of errors and damaged the front wing, but decided to hold on as long as I could to see if the other players would catch up. One was very fast - 4-odd seconds faster than me per lap, but he only managed to get himself back up to P3 by the end. Not huge points for me, but ranked in the top 500 at the time. My first ever multiplayer win in any F1 game ever, so I’ll take it.

I did notice a couple of player results around me that had no Qualifying time so I’m guessing that answers my question from Friday - it looks like you can do the race part of the Weekly even if you miss the practice and qualifying bits.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hey all,

Hey! Patch 1.06 is now out on PC, and you can check out the patch notes below:

• Tyre wear will no longer scale in qualifying sessions when race distance is set to 25% or 50%.

• Car setups will no longer change in multiplayer when going between sessions

• Fixed a crash seen by users who had been eliminated in Q1 and then closed the game during the press interview

• Fixed a number of instances where some Trophies/Achievements may not unlock in certain circumstances

• Various other stability and bug fixes

Please make sure your graphic card drivers are up-to-date, for reference, these are currently considered to be:

AMD 19.5.2

Nvidia 431.36

We are continuing to track down and fix more bugs and we’ll have more information about any further patches soon - if you notice anything about these notes that aren’t right, or you think don’t work as they should, please let us know here!

2 Likes

Nice. That first point was what messed up @oltman’s tyres last night, wasn’t it? Too much wear on his quali lap and then having to start the race on those worn tyres?

2 Likes

Here’s a in-game lap of Hockenheim with Brendon Leigh, the 2 tune F1 Esports Champion. He uses a couple of lines that differ from the racing line assist I think. And his gearing, especially through the last 4/5 corners at the end of the lap are completely different to what I’ve been using based on the “manual and suggested” setting.

(I need to go check if he does these for all the races - could be interesting to compare how he does Hungary for example.)

2 Likes