Fallout 76

Bethesda have just announced that the next installment in their long running post-apocalyptic series, Fallout 76, won't be available on Steam when it launches in November. Instead, the game will be available exclusively on Bethesda's own launcher. This, of course, also applies to the beta version that will be available in October.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/fallout-76-wont-be-available-on-steam/

Bit of a risky move by Bethesda trying to force onto us a new launcher/platform with a multiplayer focused offshoot of the Fallout series. If they really wanted it entice people onto their new platform they should have done it with a heavy hitter like TES6.
Maybe this is a test case before they make move with TES6

1 Like

Great… Another launcher…

2 Likes

Not for me.

I think I’ll just pass on this completely then.

On the one hand you see people complain about how Steam’s standards have dropped and that we need competition in the games service market on PC. And on the other hand you see people complain when games are not on Steam.

Also, the actual statement is that the game will not LAUNCH on Steam. That does not mean that the game will never come to Steam at all.

I for one don’t see an issue with this.

Now, you see, I don’t encounter this issue on console.

2 Likes

Just like no updates right?

The idea of a Fallout universe online intrigues me, that’s it, it intrigues me.

I not typically a “play-with-friends” person as I don’t do voice chat. The lack of NPCs is definitely not a selling point for me. The world is going to feel really lifeless.

I don’t know. As much as I love Fallout I’m not convinced on this game yet. I don’t like the online component at all. I like my Fallout as a singleplayer experience that I can mod as much as I want and enjoy at my own pace. I’m looking forward to Fallout New California and Fallout Miami more at this point.

On PC I’m a very bad person. If a game isn’t on Steam then the chances are slim that I’ll play it.

Fallout 76 can be something I would consider if I can still play it single player even if it is in this big shared world.

Yeah but only launching the game on your own client is not really competition anyways. You’re just trying to get people to use your new client.

If it really was about competition, they’d just put the game on every store and give a slight discount on their store, like Ubisoft is doing with a few of their games. You can buy the games on Steam or UPlay, the Steam version of the game has to be activated on UPlay in order to play anyways. If you buy the game on UPlay they can just make it a few $ cheaper, since they can take away the cut (or part thereof) Steam would have normally taken (I think it’s 30%?).

Then also start introducing games from other publishers on your client, etc., not just your own published games.

1 Like

No updates? How do you mean? Console games get loads of updates. All the time.

2 Likes

I thought this was funny.

1 Like

THIS IS NOT A TEST!!!

Fallout 76 is live

AS YOU WERE

2 Likes

While I love and prefer playing Solo, Fallout 76 just feels too dependent on player interaction. I will get bored in a very big empty space. On the fence about buying FO76, until where its price is reduced.

1 Like

F2P or bust

2 Likes