FIFA World Cup 2022

I figured we could have and use a topic for anything related to the FIFA World Cup.

I’m actually rather looking forward to this and normally enjoy these types of event at an international level. I have a natural affinity to support under dogs and often they tend to suprise and disrupt the status quo.

I have my calendar all prepped, who’s excited?

4 Likes

Kinda surprised its staring tomorrow. There used to be more hype around the event.

3 Likes

I don’t often watch soccer but I’ve always enjoyed getting into the World Cup when it comes around. With this one being so late in the year it’s felt like forever for it to start.

I’m going into this one fairly blind, not really knowing who are favourites. I always like to see an African team do well. I also root for the Dutch since my dad was born in Amsterdam.

4 Likes

I think a lot of it has to do with:

• FIFA’s choice of host nation.
  • The fact that they’ve forced global leagues and national teams to completely change the way they prepare for a WC due to it being moved from its tradional mid-year time frame to the end of the year.
  • The dehumanising treatment of foreigner workers brought in to build the stadiums, and the estimated 2500+ deaths.
  • And the general human rights record of the Qatari’s and their attitude towards LGBTQ+ competitors and visitors.

And when the tournament organisers do things like banning beer sales in the stadium literally two days before the opening match. And when FIFA then accept this decision with nothing more than a “roll over and accept it like a good like lapdog” attitude, I think a lot of people are not all that impressed with FIFA and the WC22 in general.

As usual though, I’m sure that things will start to get a little more hyped once we get to the knockout stages.

3 Likes

If you do the Superbru thing, be sure to join our own @Solitude managed MEW World Cup Predicition Pool.

Superbru - Free Football World Cup score predictor game - Most Epic Win

2 Likes

Did you see the FIFA president’s recent speech?

Infantino opened by saying: “Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker.”

I guess I am a filthy hypocrite too, and will probably watch the occasional game, and definitely keep track of the scores.

2 Likes

“Of course I am not Qatari, Arab, African, gay, disabled or a migrant worker. But I feel like them because I know what it means to be discriminated and bullied as a foreigner in a foreign country.”

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Just more reasons why politics should stay out of sports.

2 Likes

Lol, lol, lol

2 Likes

Apologies for the harsh language, but…

FUCK FIFA and their corrupt, scandalous mafia-like business model
FUCK Qatar and their slave labour practices
and FUCK the World Cup for ignoring human rights issues and only choosing money.

5 Likes

FFS I really don’t even feel like tuning into any more of it. For one the hype wasn’t even there now they’re ruining the atmosphere completely.

2 Likes

1st FIFA World Cup that I’m not remotely interested in watching. FIFA has always been corrupt, but FIFA + Qatar is some next level corruption. I’m just following it closely in the news.

4 Likes

I’m giving this one a skip too. Doing the Superbru picks but that’s it.

1 Like

The other world cups even had theme songs and such. Like Shakira here. Nothing like that has been played, there has been no advertising. The hype has been missing.

2 Likes

Well, they have this… thing as the mascot…

1 Like

I really love rooting for the underdog in general. But it seems Senegal are feeling the lack of Sadio Mane here.

5 Likes

Casper?

3 Likes

Thankfully, I went and saw a World Cup game in 2010 when they were here. That was enough for me.

2 Likes

Marching around the streets of the Joburg CBD with everyone being festive was lekker fun in 2010.

4 Likes

Sorry, what? I didn’t hear that… I kinda lost my hearing back in 2010

3 Likes