Game Pass | Ultimate • Console • PC • Core

Funny, I use an external drive on my Xbox and don’t have any of these issues.

1 Like

This is on PC.

1 Like

@MalicE, didn’t you have this problem? Were you able to fix it?

1 Like

So why the hate on Xbox?

1 Like

She’s talking about the XBox app.

1 Like

Im hating the windows integration with the xbox gamepass beta app

Ive been told to try and take ownership of the files so will attempt that later today.

@Beo - last night that was just the gatvol speaking

1 Like

oh, makes sense now. Still, seems like a stupid way to install games on a PC. But eh, Microsoft do some strange things.

understanably

1 Like

Its mental, you might get lucky to be able to install a game on one drive and then move it to where you want it - now the fun part is it leaves files behind. . . .

1 Like

yeah I’ve never seen this before…

2 Likes

I have had this before. If you reinstall your OS drive, then your data drives still have the top secret Microsoft folders with the original OS permissions. So when the new OS tries to create the super top secret Microsoft files and folders, it does not have access to it.

Even when PC name, passwords, everything else are the same, the permissions and GUID will be different.

I could only solve this by using a Linux usb to delete the folder. However, this means I will have to redownload all the MS games after every OS install. Thats is just stupid.

I do understand where MS is coming from though. They are trying to create the simplicity of a console on their complex desktop Pc OS. This should work fine for those who lack confidence in managing anything behind the scenes.

But at least give those of who know what we are doing the ability to get access to the folder, or make backups, or at the very least see the folder size. But no. They own that piece of HDD real estate and the “Keep off the grass” signs are electrified.

4 Likes

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

This seems to work, I have deleted a few now - it just sucks cos you have to do it individually for each folder on each drive.

2 Likes

I knew someone had it before!

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of Registry hacks you can do to make it a little easier - things like taking ownership of entire folders at once - by adding a “Take Ownership” command to your Right-Click menu.

You can set it manually, or just download and merge the Reg Entry file. I think the page I used to do it was this How To Geek one:

They’ve made the menu hacks available in a zip file: https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip

There’s a similar approach on the Into Windows site here:

With their Reg Entry file also available for download: https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip

2 Likes

Ive managed to take control of all the files except 1 folder - the one that has plagues tale in it and windows tells me the file is active so I cannot delete it. Its the final file to delete but it refuses

2 Likes

Reboot into Safe Mode and try get rid of it?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

2 Likes

Thank you, that worked to get rid of the old files

But weirdly even tho that drive is setup as the drive for all my pictures and music and so on. So I managed to install it to another drive finally - not what I wanted but meh nothing else works.

2 Likes

Yeah the way the xbox app handles installs is absolutely terrible. I’ve also struggled before trying to get rid of the files on a harddrive. I also figured out how to take ownership and delete the files but couldn’t get rid of all of them either.

3 Likes

The safemode worked so that helps

also good news - No man sky is coming to xbox game pass finally!

2 Likes

Available now on Game Pass for Console & Game Pass for PC!

Minecraft Dungeons for Xbox One and Windows 10

Available with Xbox Game Pass or purchase
GET IT NOW
Included with Xbox Game Pass

Unite. Fight. Survive.

Fight your way through an all-new action-adventure game, inspired by classic dungeon crawlers and set in the Minecraft universe! Up to four friends can play together, or you can brave the dungeons alone. Battle new-and-nasty mobs across action-packed, treasure-stuffed, wildly varied levels, all in an epic quest to defeat the evil Arch-Illager!

3 Likes

Anyone tried Mincecraft Dungeons as yet?

From what I have seen/heard from YouTube, is that it is a very light (baby) version of Diablo 3. Could be fun with my kid.

1 Like