Good news!

Just received the thumbs-up on my idea to transfer MyGaming to me. Hopefully it all goes through before the end of the year.

That means we can try and keep an archive of all the old posts from vBulletin and import them into Discourse. Or we can elect to just keep vBulletin.

I’ll post details as I learn them, but at this stage it looks like we’ll (at least temporarily) get hosting at Hetzner and copy everything off the current servers to the new ones. The hosting will be sponsored for a year. The idea is just to get the transfer done as quickly and smoothly as possible, and from there we can do what we want.

7 Likes

That sounds very encouraging.

1 Like

Now that opens up a whole new can of worms. Do we start anew or just rebrand?..

1 Like

Awesome. I definitely think we should switch to Discourse regardless of what else happens. vBulletin feels archaic compared to this.

2 Likes

Personally i think keep the Mygaming name but do a major rebrand ! thus you’ll retain your entire mygaming userbase

Completely new logo, colourscheme etc. i really like vBulletin and phpBB just seems a bit more organised but theres alot of discourse that i like especially the mobile interface

1 Like

quick Q, does discourse support banner ads like vBulletin and phbb ?

This made me giggle a bit! =D
This here is the whole MyG User base

1 Like

Ja I reckon start new. Clean slate. Then redirect the mygaming.co.za domain to the new site with a short disclosure

1 Like

This is really good news. But I think we have to really give the rebranding a real good think through. There is a reason that MyGaming is closing as we know it. It just doesn’t generate the same traffic as previously and is being cut. And while it would make the transition period easier, I still think we should rebrand. This gives us the perfect opportunity to create a new site, dedicated to all things geek, not just gaming. Through this, we may get more visitors and more traffic. If we keep with MyGaming, the same problems of lack of traffic will come along with us.

Also thanks @SIGSTART for fighting to keep the community alive. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Oh absolutely!!! Most people will just let the site die and move on, but @SIGSTART really is going out of his way to keep it all going. And you’re right, we don’t thank him enough for doing that.

3 Likes

Funny :slight_smile:

But not true. There are plenty of folks who are not here yet. People are probably skittish to invite others because of the confidentiality I requested of everyone, and that might work out for the better since we’ll get to integrate the two forums.

D’aaaw, thanks guys :blush:

3 Likes

Posted an update in a new topic to keep things organised…