Half-Life: Alyx

If they turn that out as a hacking game, I’d play the hell out of it.

1 Like

Are you saying Mr Silent Protagonist cheated on his exams?!

1 Like

Or he hacked his way into a supercomputer to run some crazy calculation because they wouldn’t give him the computer time, and that’s how Black Mesa found him.

2 Likes

I find it strange that after all this time they actually went with a VR title. VR users only account for around 1.5% of users on steam (estimating from the Steam hardware survey end 2018).
I doubt they are making it playable in non-VR since they’ve labeled it as their flagship VR game.

It seems like a slap in the face to all the loyal valve fans who have waiting over a decade for more HL content.

Even as a avid VR enthusiast I’m a bit puzzled by this (don’t get me wrong, I’m still getting this on day 1 :grin:). I get that they have to make content to help Index sales, but still, to go for broke with some new HL game like this? Hopefully mine and many others questions will be answered during the reveal.

1 Like

3 Likes

So maybe we can do a little poll about VR here.

• I have a VR headset
  • I’m getting a VR headset next year (2020)
  • I don’t want a VR headset ever
  • I’m undecided

0 voters

3 Likes

Got jumpscared by a game trailer.

That actually looks really good. You VR users should be happy? And nicely priced too. :+1:

4 Likes

I did notice that. Compared to other modern launches its not too bad.

3 Likes

Damn, this brings back memories! And I am pretty darn eager to play this! Changing my vote :wink:

3 Likes

Okay I am the world’s biggest hypocrite, but dammit that trailer did get me all excited about this game. And looks like my suspicions of this being a game that takes place before the story of HL2 was accurate. If only I had a VR device, as I surely have the PC now to run it.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing VR for quite a while and that trailer looks suspiciously good, It’s probably running on some serious hardware. I’ve not seen any VR game so far with that level of fidelity. Boneworks might be close, but it’s also not released yet (10 Dec boiiiiii!).

Don’t be fooled by the “animation” too, the person playing in that trailer knows what they’re doing, any normal player would be fumbling all over the place and looking like a right fool :laughing:

It IS Valve though, so I am a bit more hopeful than I’d otherwise be that it will look and play this good at launch. It would seem that the future of VR is in good hands.

P.S. I’ve heard that it takes 15 hours to finish, for that price that’s insane value for a VR game.

3 Likes

I will never pre-order, that’s for naive noobs

alt-tab’s and clicks the pre-order button

3 Likes

With how easy Steam makes refunds, I don’t really mind pre-orders anymore if a games looks worthy.

2 Likes

But doesn’t a VR only title count as a hardware exclusive? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Before I forget, here’s a video with Geoff Keighley interviewing the devs about how Half-Life: Alyx came to be:

3 Likes

Kind of, but not really, when there are over half a dozen manufacturers of VR Hardware. The only one with ‘exclusives’ is Oculus Rift, and believe me nobody is happy about that (except Facebook fanboys I guess).

I am irritated now with this game. I dont have VR and I dont see myself getting one any time soon. I will not get VR for just one game. I have played on VR and its fun for the 1st few tries but gets meh fast.

I will probably watch people play it on twitch

1 Like

I understand your frustrations, but I still believe VR is the future of gaming.

I think the only thing that would make it great is getting a better way to move around and not get super sick doing it. I could play some games on VR but some when i moved around alot i got so sick. It was not a great feeling.

1 Like

Yeah, in a growing “platform” such as VR, exclusives are really not the way to go.
Glad that valve is including all devices, including WMR :smiley:
Granted I never really need to worry about WMR, if it works on Vive, it works on WMR, but native support is great.

1 Like

I know some comments here are made in jest, but I just want to point out that saying VR gaming is hardware exclusive is the same as saying games were hardware exclusive at around the time of the OG quake because you had to now buy an expensive graphics card, which up until that point, wasn’t necessary.

No self-respecting gamer would go without a nice GPU these days if they could afford it (and sometimes even if they can’t)

1 Like