How many settings do you tweak?

You start a new game. There is a bunch of settings to change. Do you leave the defaults as they are or do you change them?

For example. In the Amnesia game change the contrast has never worker for me because the contrast was already fine.

Alternatively I spent a lot of time playing Dirt rally 2.0 in 720p mode because I thought my PC wouldn’t be able to handle it. Once I had to reinstall it on an SSD and left everything on default, hey presto, it worked regardless of the age of the GPU.

From what I understand there are many settings to tweak on modern systems. So do you play with any settings when you first stat up a game?

3 Likes

motion blur and any vignette/ film grain effects off as soon as possible, some games go to windowed mode since I have 2 screens, so I change it to borderless windowed instead, with newer games, all settings to either low or medium since my 1050Ti has not been good enough for a while now, and I have seen some game “auto optimizations” that set it all to ultra based off of my CPU for some reason. Subtitles on, never ever adjusted brightness ever.

1 Like

Invert vertical stick on a console controller always. When I push the stick up it must look down ingame.

2 Likes

I always:

• turn off motion blur
  • check it is native fullscreen, not borderless window
  • invert Y-axis
  • then often (depending on the game) change settings to MEDIUM, rather than high or ultra
2 Likes

Oh… you’re one of THOSE people…

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

LOL!

It is science!

Put your hand on someone’s head. You want them to look up. Move your arm appropriately.

I am ready fir your counter argument.

1 Like

Also #invertedyaxisgang here

I blame Star Wars: The Arcade on the Atari 2600.

2 Likes

As a researcher I find it fascinating.

Check this: 'There's a gaping hole in our knowledge': the scientists studying why gamers invert their controls | Games | The Guardian

2 Likes

EDSF because WASD just won’t do

4 Likes

These days if I’m playing with the controller, I prefer borderless window. Especially when throwing it on the TV. Also makes it easier to switch to other programs since I’m also busy with crypto over the weekends.

1 Like

When I need to look up I look up, it’s intuitive.

/back to the defendant

4 Likes

The real question is, which way is “inverted”? Surely that’s subjective.

#devilsadvocate

3 Likes

Am I now charged with something!? :smiley:

1 Like

Did someone make a video…? I cannot read it because when I scroll DOWN the pages go UP…

2 Likes

Didn’t you know? Since the viral success of the Depp vs. Heard trial, everything is a now a trial. I put it to you!

1 Like

If you wanted to play this, you had to play “inverted”! Released 1984, so you could say this is the way.

One thing I miss about the Xbox 360 (and maybe it carried forward to the newer ones, I don’t know) was you could set your Y preference on your profile and it would automatically get applied in most (if not all) games.

1 Like

I put it to you no because when the Inverted Yes/No option is present in the options, the YES or ticked box objectively changes up to down and down to up.

2 Likes

I normally leave all the settings custom, but I always remove motion blur and set the depth of field as far wide as I can, also any screen shakes, vibrations, etc needs to be removed so as not to trigger my motion sickness. If I experience any I tend to play with settings till it either stops or I uninstall.

1 Like

I tried EDSF when I was super serious about UT, as I wanted access to more weapon shortcut keys. I never made it stick though.

As for settings I change. I see everyone is talking about visual settings. For me, one of the first things I do is raise the dialogue volume and/or decrease the music and effect levels. Sometimes I turn subtitles on.

1 Like

OMG, that IS why I switched. LOL. It’s also nice that your left index finger, lays on the F key, with the touch typing pip on it. It always annoyed me, to shift over 1 key, after placing my hands on the keyboard.

2 Likes