Idle Observatory - Click, Click, Stars!

Thanks Redd.

3 Likes

It contains the first letters of my, my wife, our son, and our dogsā€™ names and our surname. On purpose, wasnā€™t just a happy coincidence.

3 Likes

Well there we have it, haha. Thanks @GregRedd :pray:

4 Likes

Now I have to go find a decent Android emulator and install it on my PC just so that I can also say ā€œI was one of the first people on the planet to play Idle Observatoryā€.

Any emulator suggestions?

4 Likes

Underrated post. Deserves more likes.

5 Likes

Just some things to consider.

• What did you use to design the mockups and do you have the assets?
  • Do you plan on releasing this to the Apple AppStore?
  • The AppStore has certain human interface guidelines in order to be considered as ā€œpassedā€ in their QA process.

I can work on some improvements if you like, I can do this in Figma, Sketch or XD, each of which has collaborative support. Letā€™s colab and get this looking slick af. We can even use this space to gather and guage feedback.

4 Likes

So Iā€™m getting a bit overwhelmed by the support from you all, in a good way. Iā€™ve literally spent the last 3 months every day working on the app sitting on a small couch in a corner of the room for it now to be out in the open is scary. I need to drive now so Iā€™ll collect my thoughts and be back later.

Thank you again to everyone :pray:

Edit. Not collect my thoughts, collect my composure, or however you say it. You know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

See! I know squat about idle games and I said exactly the same thing when @Entity showed this to me.

Whatā€™s even more impressive is that you can change how many of a generator you want to buy and the countdown timer will show you how long it will take to get up to that milestone too.

3 Likes

As @Entity knows, Im loving the game already, its fun, its pretty and I love the relaxing music

2 Likes

I use LD player, so far so good, i also used Nox before but LD works better so far, they also have a nice faq and support section, as there was a while where I could not figure out why it wouldnā€™t run, and could easily find the answer.

3 Likes

I clicked the download link
I touched the stars and found the secrets of the universe
I ascended and became even more efficien
I saw no videos for other games

10/10

4 Likes

Thanks TT. Found and installed BlueStacks in between and it seems to work pretty decently so far. If I run into issues with it Iā€™ll definitely check out LD Player.

3 Likes

Ok Iā€™m all sorted now and able to sit and go through everything here. I always appreciate any help/advice/critique but please donā€™t take offense if I donā€™t want to use a suggestion.

Thatā€™s good, but feel free to mention anything you may see. I already have a bit of a list of things to sort out from people finding glitches but Iā€™ll try fix them in updates and sort them out right under your nose without you noticing :stuck_out_tongue:

Here, now that we have a dedicated area.

I used the Android Studio built in Layout Editor to throw the layouts together.

By ā€˜assetsā€™ do you mean the images? or something else that I donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about?

I would like to maybe put it on the AppStore one day but thatā€™s far in the future.

I did try my best to be guided by the Android Developer guidelines for things, but there are still some things I would like to tweak visually. I just made the app functional and would tweak the appearances later.

You can throw something together if you want. I do not know any of those softwares. I would just like to keep the style of the dark look of things. My biggest thing I want to change eventually are the big blue ā€˜buyā€™ buttons. Again, they were just to be functional to be ā€˜softenedā€™ later. I even have ideas to put the gained production of each buy on each button. The ideas list is long.

I always wanted to know if I should carry on playing a game for a few more minutes to get an upgrade or if it was going to take hours because then I would close the app and come back later once it had offline generated. So seeing that I canā€™t do quick maths to divide the cost into the total funds I have I made it do it for me.

Thank you for giving it a try.

I also use Bluestacks as an emulator for testing, as well as the build in one from the software.

So Iā€™ll post any updates here as I go as best I can. Post your progress screenshots if you want to see how you compare. PS. leaderboards and speedruns are part of my plansā€¦

3 Likes

I see you rocking those solid counts, 200, 100, 50ā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OCD,
OCD.
Greg isā€¦
OCD!

3 Likes

Did you build it in vanilla Android, i.e. a language running on the JVM? Otherwise you can opt to rebuild it in something like React Native, Flutter, Xamarin or NativeScript. I suspect even Ionic (Angluar, React or Vue) would suffice for this game. All of those options will give you the ability to compile one code-base to native Android and iOS. The added benefit of Ionic is having a PWA right out the gate as wellā€¦

3 Likes

Bug Report: When I close the game and come back to it, the idle counter seems broken. I left the game alone for not more than 15 minutes, but when I got back it told me I was away for 11 hours, and I got all the money and findings for those 11 hours away. Definitely an exploit and one that you should look at.

Edit: tried again and it correctly calculated my away time. Not sure if this does it every time but honestly Iā€™m not complaining, that boost gave me enough to get some good progress.

3 Likes

Thats a weird one. Overnight on mine when I woke up this morning and checked it, it had said it was offline for 9 hours but only did 2 hours worth of productionā€¦Howā€™d you get 11 hours worth :smiley:

3 Likes

Does it sync with the one on your phone? I donā€™t want to restart :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No idea. I donā€™t have an Android phone, thatā€™s why Iā€™m using an emulator on my PC.

(I honestly thought that was obvious to everyone, so sorry if I confused you) :crazy_face:

3 Likes