Itch.io Weekly Challenge

If you haven’t seen it yet:

A bundle for a good cause where you get 742 items. Mostly small indie games. Now, if you are like me you already own a ton of Steam games and GOG games and Epic Store games and wow, I remember when I was young it was so difficult to get a game. Anyways, how about if we try out one item a week? You can pick any item that looks interesting. Give it a try and then write a short review here with a link to the one you tried.

Non-rambling version:

1. Buy bundle.
  2. Try out one item per week.
  3. Write short review of item you tried, even if you only tried it for 5 minutes and found you didn’t like it.
  4. Support both indie gaming and organisations that help with racial justice and equality.
  5. It doesn’t matter if you miss a week or you can do multiple a week if you want.

Who will join me?

3 Likes

Im gonna pass, I took a look, most of those are not something I will play much of at all.

2 Likes

I can only vouch for 4 games:

• Overland
  • A short hike
  • Oxenfree
  • Super Hexagon

These games combined more than make up for the asking price.

I find it amazing that most of these developers probably never made their developing costs back from sales, yet are willing to give their hard work away for free for a good cause! Champions!

3 Likes

I picked up the bundle. I hope this money will be used for good.

Challenge accepted! Let the smol indie game reviewing begin!

3 Likes

The bundle has been updated and now includes 1,427 items. People who bought it previously get all the extra items too.

That’s an insane amount of games and things!

2 Likes

Just bought the bundle.

I will see if I can play one a week and post about it here. Might try one every day before I go to work.

2 Likes

Awesome, glad to have more people on board.

1 Like

So I tried out Night of the Consumers now. As a former retail worker the concept intrigued me. You play a new worker in a store like Checkers or PnP and you have to stack the shelves while avoiding insane customers, basically all Ultra Karens. Boxes are scattered around the store and each one of them is labeled with a department and you then have to make it to that shelf and unpack it. If a customer sees you they will rush you and ask you for a specific item and then you have to take them to that department before they ask to see the manager which means game over.

Overall it’s not too bad.

4 Likes

Haha I like it. I think we are going to find some real obscure gems here.

4 Likes

Ok fine, will get into this. Are we randomly picking a game? Going alphabetically? All playing the same game at the same time?

2 Likes

There are no rules. Pick whichever game you want and try it out. Also, welcome aboard!

2 Likes

I like structure :grin: blindingly starting random games will drive me crazy! Hmmm… Maybe I need some crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

What I’m going to (try) do is pick one game from every page to try. If I use the app there are 48 pages of games so I’ll take a page a day and pick what ever looks the most interesting from the list.

I see PC Gamer mentions Night of the Consumers in an article about (amazing) games from this bundle.

4 Likes

Today I tried Long Gone Days. I’ve never heard of it before but I see it has a very positive rating on Steam.

It’s a military RPG with turn based combat where you can target specific body parts of enemies. It has a really cool art style and great anime style drawn dialogues and scenes.

The story seems interesting so far and I can definitely see myself coming back to this game in the near future.

4 Likes

Soli you have given me the perfect opportunity to try and upskill myself in two areas I want to. Just bought the bundle and your weekly review thing was exactly the right idea. My writing has decreased dramatically over the last few years because I never do it anymore. Plus I’m trying to learn how to edit and do voiceovers for office projects. So I want to try and do a weekly review where I play one of these games, capture some of the footage and do a quick rundow as described in your challenge. If I will actually get the courage to do it, who knows. But I will try. Thanks @Solitude

4 Likes

That’ll be awesome. Glad to have you on board.

I will play A Mortician’s Tale tonight if all goes well.

3 Likes

Haven’t even looked at the games. Will try and make a choice for something to play

3 Likes

I’ve wanted to stream / upload gameplay forever but I don’t have the confidence to put myself out there.

I might record some of these games and just upload the gameplay without any commentary or anything. And then I’ll write a short little review here and maybe even publish it on my blog that nobody besides me has ever seen.

3 Likes

Apparently you just have to get started.

[nike quote]
[Richard Branson quote]

4 Likes

Add in Shai LaBeouf telling us to “just do it” and we’re all set for glory!

2 Likes