Itch.io Weekly Challenge

Okay I’m in. It’s a worthy cause and to sweeten the deal more and more games (and decent games at that) are being added. I own a few of them already as many of them have featured as giveaways on Twitch Prime, EGS and Humble but it’s still good.

I see Semblance is included. I bought it on Steam recently and it is really good - not just for a South African game but for a game in general.

First to play on my list will be Hidden Folks!

4 Likes

Yay! Good to see you join us.

2 Likes

Such a fun little game - I have it on the tablet.

3 Likes

They’ve added more games and it has messed with the pages. There are now 55 pages in the app for me. I’ll decide what to try later today. I see Celeste is now on page one and I’ve always wanted to try that but it’s already a well known game so I might pick something else.

4 Likes

Today I tried out Sagebrush. An adventure game where you explore the abandoned site of a cult that commited mass suicide. This game has a creepy atmosphere that I like and the music, when it is there, helps to amplify that feeling. The low res art style works really well and I really liked the black and white effect when listening to tapedecks found in the world.

I’m not usually a fan of games in this genre but I didn’t hate this one. I liked walking around the site, reading the various notes I found and listening to the tapedeck recordings. All things considered it was a pretty decent experience.

Here is the video of my gameplay and link to my blog below that (same text as here basically)

3 Likes

I see that Super Giant Games added Pyre!

3 Likes

Also…

Hidden Folks is really well done. The sound effects are hilarious. It’s a nice chilled game to pass the time.

4 Likes

Those of you who use the Itch.io app and can’t find or install the bundle games, let me know and I’ll let you know how. It’s not as simple as you’d think it would be.

2 Likes

I played and finished A Mortician’s Tale.

It’s only about an hour long and the game itself is very simple. You are a mortician and you have certain duties to perform. I learned a great deal about that! I like the colour scheme and the theme of the game but overall it’s way too simplistic.

I would recommend it if you want to learn about being a mortician.

5/10.

4 Likes

My next game is Milkmaid of the Milky Way.

3 Likes

I saw that one and it looked pretty cool. Up next for me is Sai.

3 Likes

Video and blog post for today’s game is up:

Today’s game is Sai. Sai is a third person action game where you play as a druid trying to save a forest from machines. Gameplay takes the form of a third person shooter where you are armed with a bow. The game looks very good but I had some performance issues with it. Interestingly if I lower the graphics settings it pushes up my CPU usage causing choppy gameplay.

The gameplay is fun albeit a bit repetitive but according to the game’s itch page the estimated playtime is only 40 min - 1 hour so that shouldn’t become a problem. You fight waves of robots and once you clear all enemies from an area you interact with a shrine which then brings back life to the forest. These scenes are well done and reminded me of Flower on the PS3/PS4.

I have recorded some gameplay for the first two days as well and will probably upload the videos before I go to work today.

5 Likes

Looks pretty cool. I’ll take note to give it a go sometime.

3 Likes

For the sake of keeping references to everything in one place, I feel like I should post links to @Wlad’s syndicated articles.

4 Likes

Next game for me is The Stillness of the Wind.

3 Likes

Next one is done:

Today’s game is The Stillness of the Wind. I really enjoyed my time with this game. You play an old woman living alone on a small farm with two goats and six chickens. Everyday you can milk the goats to make cheese, collect eggs from the chickens, grow vegetables, forage mushrooms and cook meals for yourself.

I found this game to be extremely relaxing. There are no health bars or energy levels and no enemies to fight. It is completely up to you how you spend your days and what routine you will follow. The only restriction seems to be the day/night cycle. The music is really soothing and fits the game very well. The character does walk slowly but I found this to add to the relaxing nature of the game.

5 Likes

Wow, you are cruising through these games!

2 Likes

Haha, yeah my goal is to do a different game every day. I basically just want to get a first impression of each game I try so I play about 10-30 minutes and then write a short review about what I’ve played. If I find something I really like I will keep playing it or put it on the backlog to come back to later.

It’s thanks to you that I’m doing it and now I have a fun little project to do every day before/after work.

I don’t really edit the footage apart from my lame intro so there really isn’t much work involved. I just hit record when I start playing and then write something after. I might skip a day here or there but I’ll be sure to catch it up when that happens.

/side note. Anyone using OBS for recording have issues with unity engine? I’ve noticed games running in unity have this weird blur effect when I record them (see my day 1 video).

Also, next game is The Hex

3 Likes

Here is today’s game:

Today’s game is The Hex. This is a bit of a difficult one to give a first impression of because of the nature of the game. It starts off as what appears to be a point and click adventure game, but you soon realise this is not the case.

Each protagonist that you play will have flashbacks to their own past and the games they starred in and you will then play snippets of some of those games. This is one of the more interesting titles I’ve come across so far, and not just in this bundle. The art style is once again great; I really like the way characters look and move around. It has some unique ideas with the genre switching and even within those these are things that make it stand apart.

*I wrote a bit more than I planned for this one, you can read the rest on my blog if you want to.

I’m also thinking about a doing a weekly recap showing like 2 minutes or so of each of the 7 games I played during the week. Will see if I do that though.

5 Likes

Nice! This wasn’t so much on my radar but now I’m intrigued to try it out.

Keep up the good work.

2 Likes