Itch.io Weekly Challenge

I played and finished A Mortician’s Tale.

It’s only about an hour long and the game itself is very simple. You are a mortician and you have certain duties to perform. I learned a great deal about that! I like the colour scheme and the theme of the game but overall it’s way too simplistic.

I would recommend it if you want to learn about being a mortician.

5/10.

4 Likes

My next game is Milkmaid of the Milky Way.

3 Likes

I saw that one and it looked pretty cool. Up next for me is Sai.

3 Likes

Video and blog post for today’s game is up:

Today’s game is Sai. Sai is a third person action game where you play as a druid trying to save a forest from machines. Gameplay takes the form of a third person shooter where you are armed with a bow. The game looks very good but I had some performance issues with it. Interestingly if I lower the graphics settings it pushes up my CPU usage causing choppy gameplay.

The gameplay is fun albeit a bit repetitive but according to the game’s itch page the estimated playtime is only 40 min - 1 hour so that shouldn’t become a problem. You fight waves of robots and once you clear all enemies from an area you interact with a shrine which then brings back life to the forest. These scenes are well done and reminded me of Flower on the PS3/PS4.

I have recorded some gameplay for the first two days as well and will probably upload the videos before I go to work today.

5 Likes

Looks pretty cool. I’ll take note to give it a go sometime.

3 Likes

For the sake of keeping references to everything in one place, I feel like I should post links to @Wlad’s syndicated articles.

4 Likes

Next game for me is The Stillness of the Wind.

3 Likes

Next one is done:

Today’s game is The Stillness of the Wind. I really enjoyed my time with this game. You play an old woman living alone on a small farm with two goats and six chickens. Everyday you can milk the goats to make cheese, collect eggs from the chickens, grow vegetables, forage mushrooms and cook meals for yourself.

I found this game to be extremely relaxing. There are no health bars or energy levels and no enemies to fight. It is completely up to you how you spend your days and what routine you will follow. The only restriction seems to be the day/night cycle. The music is really soothing and fits the game very well. The character does walk slowly but I found this to add to the relaxing nature of the game.

5 Likes

Wow, you are cruising through these games!

2 Likes

Haha, yeah my goal is to do a different game every day. I basically just want to get a first impression of each game I try so I play about 10-30 minutes and then write a short review about what I’ve played. If I find something I really like I will keep playing it or put it on the backlog to come back to later.

It’s thanks to you that I’m doing it and now I have a fun little project to do every day before/after work.

I don’t really edit the footage apart from my lame intro so there really isn’t much work involved. I just hit record when I start playing and then write something after. I might skip a day here or there but I’ll be sure to catch it up when that happens.

/side note. Anyone using OBS for recording have issues with unity engine? I’ve noticed games running in unity have this weird blur effect when I record them (see my day 1 video).

Also, next game is The Hex

3 Likes

Here is today’s game:

Today’s game is The Hex. This is a bit of a difficult one to give a first impression of because of the nature of the game. It starts off as what appears to be a point and click adventure game, but you soon realise this is not the case.

Each protagonist that you play will have flashbacks to their own past and the games they starred in and you will then play snippets of some of those games. This is one of the more interesting titles I’ve come across so far, and not just in this bundle. The art style is once again great; I really like the way characters look and move around. It has some unique ideas with the genre switching and even within those these are things that make it stand apart.

*I wrote a bit more than I planned for this one, you can read the rest on my blog if you want to.

I’m also thinking about a doing a weekly recap showing like 2 minutes or so of each of the 7 games I played during the week. Will see if I do that though.

5 Likes

Nice! This wasn’t so much on my radar but now I’m intrigued to try it out.

Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Finally, some games I can play on linux

3 Likes

Done with today’s game, Hair Dash:

VIdeo is a lot shorter this time around because of the type of game. There is no point in recording for longer.

Today’s game is Hair Dash. The game is still in development and the build included in the bundle is not the final version. The game recently released on mobile in a more feature complete version and this should hopefully come to the PC version soon.

It is a very fast, very stylish action game which is played with only two buttons, one for attacking to the left and one for attacking to the right.It’s a fun little game to kill a couple of minutes with and once you get a decent run going it can be quit exhilarating. The pixel art style is absolutely gorgeous and the pirate theme is great.

3 Likes

Next one is Kingdom Ka. I’ve already recorded my gameplay and started writing my impressions but will only upload tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’ve published my thoughts on the next game, but the video is still uploading. This time I played through the entire game in one sitting and I am uploading my complete playthrough of the game (just under an hour).

Today’s game is Kingdom Ka. I don’t really know how to describe this game. It is more of an experience than a game. A completely unique piece of art that poses some interesting questions.

If you have any interest in video games as an art form this is an absolute must play and at only about an hour in length you won’t lose much if you don’t like it.

I will post the youtube link as soon as it’s done uploading and processing.

Here is the video:

3 Likes

Here’s a helpful random game picker tool for the bundle. It also allows you to apply filters such as only picking from games (and not asset packs/table top games etc.)

Edit: It also has a browse function with the same filters that can be applied. Even things such as only showing games that also have a Steam release, or high enough user rating. This is really handy for sorting through all the bundled items.

6 Likes

Nice thanks, will definitely make use of it.

2 Likes

Video is processing but the impressions for today’s game is up.

The basic concept of the game is that you are exploring an interactive 3D representation of the mind of an Artificial Intelligence. The gameplay loop involves you choosing a level from the terminal and then once you’re in the game you have to explore the level and solve puzzles to find a code that you need to put into the terminal in order to clear the level.

I’m not really a big horror fan, but I really liked the atmosphere of this game and I’m also intrigued by the idea of exploring the mind of an AI. The game has a positive rating on Steam so I’m sure if you are a fan of the genre there is something for you here.

EDIT: video

5 Likes

I think I forgot to post the last few articles that were published on the MEW blog to here…

5 Likes