Kerbal Space Program 2: Same Space, Just More

Without so much as the sound of a spluttering rocket engine to warn us of the announcement, publisher Private Division revealed during Gamescom Opening Night Live on Monday that Kerbal Space Program 2 is heading to the launchpad in early 2020.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/kerbal-space-program-2-space/
2 Likes

Man I regret forgetting about KSP. But with other stuff and it being in early access its easy to forget.

2 Likes

@Pr0fPyr0 and I were on Discord when I saw the news of a new KSP. I watched the trailer and he heard my reaction live. Needless to say I was extremely excited about the trailer.

Like seriously, I am now officially more hyped for KSP 2 than any other game currently in development. I LOVE KSP with all my heart, and that trailer was one of the best trailer I’ve ever seen. I am so on board the hype train.

I played several hundred hours of KSP in the past, and it’s been a game close to my heart for a very long time. I’ve been to most of the major bodies in the Kerbal system with either manned or probe ships, I’ve crashed Jeb many, MANY times into the Mun and Minmus. I’ve build several orbital space stations, with and without MechJeb. I’ve done so much in game and still feels like I never even scratched the surface of it. Bring on KSP 2 for a few hundred hours of more Oberth effect fun!!!

2 Likes

I suck at this game, but I too, am pretty excited. The first time I managed to land on the Mun was one epic feeling. That was in the demo. Since buying the game, I’ve only managed to crash land on the Mun, but I’ll take it. The mechanics changed between the demo and when I finally bought it.
Leave me alone, that’s my official excuse!

3 Likes

Another “Most Anticipated Game for 2020” candidate delayed, this time all the way to 3Q 2021 :frowning:
(To be fair, this was announced last month already.)

3 Likes

That’s quite the delay :cry:

2 Likes

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it has now been delayed to 2023.

WOW… that is a hefty delay.

1 Like

It’s been over three years since I made this original post about the news that KSP2 was on the way. Since then, the game has been delayed through the chaos that was the Covid pandemic. And while there has been fairly regular updates from Private Division about progress being made, we haven’t had any specific indication of dates on the roadmap.

Almost two years later and we’ve now got a solid indication of the road ahead for KSP2. And the news is that KSP2 will enter Early Access from 24 February 2023. :smiley:

Kerbonauts, we’re excited to announce that Kerbal Space Program 2 will be releasing in Early Access on February 24th, 2023, for an introductory price of $49.99. The game will be available on PC only during Early Access, on the KSP website, Steam and Epic Games Store.

Key Features to come during Early Access:

Next Generation Technology: As the game updates progress, players will gain access to a whole new set of next generation tools and technology including new engines, parts, fuel, and much more. This new tech will not just create novel puzzles for players to solve, but will also enable new feats of space exploration within and beyond the original Kerbolar System.

Colonies: Brand new to Kerbal Space Program 2 are colonies. Colonies not only pose their own physics challenges, but also require resource gathering to build structures, space stations, habitations, and unique fuel types. Eventually, these colonies become advanced enough for vehicle construction, propelling deep space exploration and beyond.

Interstellar Travel: Next-gen tech, colonies, and systematic resource gathering all lead to a whole new level of exploration: interstellar travel. In Kerbal Space Program 2, interstellar technologies pave the way to a host of new star systems and celestial bodies, each comprising novel challenges and harboring secret treasures. Among them: Charr, a heat-blasted world of iron; Ovin, a ringed super-Earth with relentless gravity; Rask and Rusk, a binary pair locked in a dance of death; and many more to reward exploration.

Multiplayer/Modding: The technological developments made to the foundations of Kerbal Space Program 2 will build on the beloved modding capabilities of the original game, as well as deliver on the long-requested addition of multiplayer. Soon players will be able to share the challenges of deep space exploration. More details on these features will be revealed at a later time.

Wishlist on Steam:

Visit the official KSP site for more news and info:

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

5 Likes

The video previews of KSP 2 is out

There are some major issues thats been highlighted by long time KSP fans. All these peolle played the game on monster hardware, with a 4080 GPU and latest Ryzen 9 CPU, but still had horrible frame rates, massive stutters and lots of graphical issues.

2 Likes

Yes.

But.

Multiplayer!!!

1 Like

Right now, as it launches, i wont be getting the game. Its not worth it as those features are still months or even years away. The moment theres been some additional patches and more content, then I’ll go back to the Kerbalverse

2 Likes

Yeah, as hyped as I am, ive got to agree. I’ll keep an eye on the reviews, maybe those will convince me, bit this looks like a buy on sale for me.

2 Likes

Early Access launched yesterday. The $49.99 “introductory price” equates to R899 for us. Which means release pricing, when that eventually happens, will be probably be in the R1100-R1300 range. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

The Early Access Roadmap confirms those reviews Hammer posted - there is still a lot that needs to be done. A lot.

With over 4 000 reviews already, it’s sitting at just 50% Mixed currently. Most of the complaints seem centered around the pricing for what’s included in the EA release, and the huge lack of features currently available.

4 Likes

My thoughts so far:

I already decided I was getting this on day one, and even then the price still shocked me, but
it does make sense if you think about it.
KSP1 was codded in someones garage with no solid plans on what it will eventually become. 2 has an actual established gave dev studio, tons of employees, huge ambition, and a long development roadmap.

I’ve racked up over 1200 hours in the first one, currently 3 hours in the sequel. There are a lot of welcome changes that couldn’t be worked around in the original codebase, so I can sort of see how this game will eventually flourish. For example, regarding building of vehicles, the interface, presentation and build logic is so much better and since I tend to spend up to an hour or more building vehicles, this makes the whole process way more enjoyable. The procedural wing system is amazing.

They also put so much polish in at this early stage already, subtle things like, UI sfx, music, tutorials, radio chatter, etc.

To address the negative reviews, it’s in early access… the end. Don’t expect an almost finish game that they decided to release a few months early. KSP1 was 10% of it’s current size when it was release into EA.
People are also knocking the performance and optimization, again, early access, optimization tends to happen once the core features are in.
I’m getting smooth frames (30-60) at 1440p, high quality, 2x AA. I’m running a i5-12600 and 6700 XT. I haven’t built anything big yet.

I’m excited to see how this goes.

6 Likes

Now this is a review I can believe. You’ve swayed me - another few Vitality Rewards coupons and I’ll be EA KSP2-ing too :grinning:

Thanks for doing it and for breaking down the details that matter for us.

Oh, and Hello @SlinX :wave: It’s been a minute!

3 Likes

Agreed with Uncle @GregRedd , I really appreciate your input! I’ve got a lot on my plate right now, both gaming and time wise, so I’m going to hold off for now, but your views have given me a lot more hope than the internet at large did!

3 Likes

Oh, and it looks beautiful :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I honestly think the argument that “its early access” is not a get out of jail free card for the devs. The fact is this game is not up to standard for what KSP should be. Its frustrating and I’m torn as I know i will play KSP 2. I put so many houndreds of hours into KSP 1 and its still one of my favourite games ever, but the game launches like noobs launch their first rockets; flopping around and getting staging incorrect. And it all comes down to that price. You cannot charge a full price for a gamr in this state. If the price was half of what it currently is, it would be an easy and immediate buy. But dont charge R900 for a bloody half bake broken game!

This sucks, and im angry because i want to play this so badly, but there is no way I’m paying R900 for what it is.

2 Likes

@DieGrootHammer I agree, the price is a bit much, but you are paying for what the game will eventually become, not what’s there right now.
You don’t have to buy it now, you can wait for v1.0, thats the whole point of early access. Buy it now and you would have still spent the same if not more than if you wait for full release, which may be years down the line.

IMO, Early Access has gotten a bad rap it the last few years. Game studios would abuse it by hyping up games to pump the EA sales and then abandon, leaving players feeling cheated.
Not all developers are like this, especially with the labour of love that is KSP.
The original KSP is one of the games that shaped the early access model into what it is today, not to mension how important community feedback is to them during early development.

So, in conclusion, I spent the money now because I want to play it now and I have full faith that I will get my monies worth over time.
If that’s not for you and you want to get your full monies worth at purchase, then wait for the full release, simple. I’m the meanwhile, I’ll be enjoying my time soaring through the fully volumetric clouds :wink:

2 Likes