Life by you cancelled

For those looking for a new Sims style game sadly paradox cancelled life by you.

1 Like

I guess they don’t want to risk another Cities Skylines 2 type of disaster.

2 Likes

That’s a bit disappointing. Was interested to see if it would be able to provide some competition to Sims 4, and also put any pressure on EA to release more info about Sims 5.

I think @czc is correct in suggesting that Paradox are being overly cautious at the moment after the issues with the CS2 release. It did sound (from the PC Gamer Gamescom preview last year) like Life By You was pretty far down the development path. I’m curious about happens to all those assets and all the work that was already put into it? Wouldn’t it make more sense to “postpone indefinitely” than to cancel outright? And then maybe come back to the project in a while when they’re in a better position with more resources?

The other life sim that also seems to be quite far down the development road is PUBG developer Krafton’s inZOI. It has an unofficial release of “late 2024”.

1 Like

Developer also closed by paradox…

1 Like

LinkedIn post from one of the now ex-game designers from the shuttered Paradox Tectonic studio:

Dude is done with the corporate BS:

Then two weeks before launch we were told we wouldn’t be launching. And just now that we’ve all lost our jobs. We were only informed of this via a public announcement.

We were not told why. Instead we spent a month in purgatory, and did everything we could to prove to them we were worth launching, including things like finding potential buyers or suggesting cutting ties and going indie. We heard virtually nothing back.

I was warned against writing anything about this experience. That it may hurt my future career or even that legal action could be taken against me. I have chosen to ignore these warnings.

Sucks all round.

2 Likes

This sucks. The shuttering of a studio when their product is this close to launch is horrible. And then being prevented from speaking out against it is salt to the wounds. Props to this guys for speaking out!

1 Like