Mafia: Trilogy (Definitive Edition Releases)

That’s a huge jump. I think they’ve removed regional pricing for SA. It’s odd though. From what I can see on SteamDB ours is the only price that has been changed:

https://steamdb.info/app/1030840/

Happy I got it at the old price too - after the Horizon Zero thing, I wasn’t going to make the same mistake again. Sad for the 8 folks on my Friends list who have it Wishlisted though :pensive:

2 Likes

2K’s pricing for South Africa is usually not great for us so it’s actually lucky that we got the lower pricing in the first place!

2 Likes

Exactly this. I’m waiting for PGA Tour 2K1K to come down to a sane price.

2 Likes

:smile:

3 Likes

@Oltman and me too! Keen to compare the old map with the new one.

1 Like

Would love to replay this one day therefor will avoid watching a let’s play.

Also, the game is now cheaper on Epic for us. At the moment it’s listed at $36.99 (~R623). Add Rocket League Free-to-Play to your account to secure a $10 coupon, and you could get it for $26.99 (~R455).

And at $12.99 each for the Mafia II and Mafia III Definitive Editions, Epic is significantly cheaper as well. That’s under R220 each compared to Steam’s R549 for II and R999 for the Trilogy Bundle (which is the only way I can work out how to get III on Steam at the moment.) Even the Bundle is cheaper at $52.99 (~R890). Throw your $10 coupon onto that and the Trilogy Bundle can be had for ~R725 on Epic.

2 Likes

Finished the game last night. Took me just under 11 hours. Not a long game by any means but considering the nostalgia and the price I paid it was well worth it.

I do miss some of the things from the original like the Bertone side missions or interacting with Ralphie before every mission but Hangar 13 took a more streamlined approach and decided to focus on the story, which has always been the best part of the game anyway.

3 Likes

did they put in the sandbox mode from the original? where you could like kill speedy conzales and resque a women from the kraken? it had all those funny extra missions

Currently watching a let’s play of it, and glad to see the race is as hard as it was, if not easier, as i vaguely remember having to glitch the game(kindoff) in order to win in the original

1 Like

There is a free roam mode where you just drive around and look for secrets and stuff but I’m not sure what is actually there.

The race was much better but then I did not play on classic difficulty, no way I got the patience for that.

2 Likes

Pretty interesting insights from an ex-Mob man:

1 Like

I managed to win the race on Classic difficulty! It was not easy at all and as it got later I drove worse and worse but eventually I got it.

I’ve changed over to using a gamepad for the driving and will probably use it for all but the shooting. It definitely feels like the game was more designed for a gamepad this time around which makes sense with it being on console too.

3 Likes

I did the same with regards to using a controller for driving. At one point I was playing it on my TV using only the controller but the shooting is SO much better with a mouse. Especially considering you can instantly kill enemies with headshots.

2 Likes

It’s been such a busy weekend I haven’t had much chance to carry on playing - looking forward to getting in some game time tonight. I’m really enjoying the mix of nostalgia and new.

2 Likes

I finally completed Mafia: Definitive Edition last night. The delay had nothing to do with the game, rather just that I get caught up in all the multiplayer games, especially racing, so I don’t have much chance to get to the single player experiences.

That aside, I was actually quite moved by the game’s ending. Having played the original a few times I knew how the story ended but the extra storytelling added in the Def Ed gave it so much more of an impact. The story once again, and even more so now, makes you genuinely care about its characters. The extra conversations and events help the characters feel more human, and you feel like part of their journey.

The game looks great. It may not be the most technically amazing but the art direction is wonderful, both preserving the original map’s character while using the new technology to make it feel like a real place. I am glad that I can now spend time exploring in the Free Ride mode - plus there’s some activities hidden over the map for you to discover.

This is a narrative experience. The gameplay is decently fun and I enjoy the attention to detail with the vehicles. I would recommend turning off the route GPS so that you have to look at the map to figure out your route - just like in the original. Coming to know and recognise landmarks helps Lost Heaven feel like a place you inhabit rather than pass through.

The voice acting and cut scenes are top notch as they help you connect with the highs and lows of the characters.

For me Mafia: DE doesn’t replace the original, but it does stand up there with it as one of my treasured game experiences. It also proves that Illusion Softworks really did create a masterpiece (in my opinion of course) with the original, and Hanger 13 did a great job making a faithful remastered successor.

4 Likes