MEW Streamers & Content Creators (Twitch, YouTube, FB Gaming)

Oh wow! Didn’t think that would be happening with all the money they had pumped into it to get Ninja and Shroud over on the service. That said, I’d occasionally watch Shroud’s streams when I was browsing Twitch, but once he went onto Mixer I never watched once.

4 Likes

Wow! Very unexpected!

3 Likes

Hey guys!

So I will be streaming the Assetto Corsa race tonight in my new stream layout… OK, it is my first actual layout. This will probably also be my last stream to Youtube as I am looking to make the move to Mixer. Oh… hang on. I guess Twitch it is!

I will then hopefully be posting offline videos to Youtube in a semi regular fashion.

LINK to my very impersonal channel. I need 100 subs to customise it.

7 Likes

Lol. Just came in to say exactly that. :grinning:

Thanks Mixer. I think.
#DontBeKak

1 Like

We’re all already subscribed. And we’ve rang the bell. And hit that thumbs up! Many times.
:smiley:

You going to use your twitch.tv/championsofvictory account on that there new fangled Twitch thing. Or an Oltman identity?

2 Likes

The gob-smacker is (100% accurate or not, I can believe it) both Shroud and Ninja were given the option to have FB take over their contracts, possibly even at added value, and both declined and exercised the cancellation clause in their contracts.

Shroud, it is said, cleared the full $10-million value of his contract after just 6 months on Mixer. For Ninja the number being shared around is $30-million. And he was with Mixer for just under a year.

Haven’t had a chance to follow up on anything today, but did hear Harris Heller suggest that Shroud would probably go back to Twitch, while Ninja would do well to go over to YouTube (where he has over 25 million channel subscribers already.)

1 Like

Damm i was shocked to see Mixer go down so soon. I dont ever see Ninja go back to Twitch after what happened. Shroud I dont think will have a hard time going back to twitch.

2 Likes

Will be using that link, yes. I spent time today setting up the overlays and will later spend time on getting the actual Twitch page ready. Anybody know someone who can design a cool logo? :wink:

2 Likes

I will put it on the tv just now so won’t be able to comment. Busy doing some other stuff but will keep an eye on you guys.

3 Likes

Thanks for the views, sorry I could not interact :frowning: Also, sorry for obscuring half the screen for half the race. I fixed it at the end :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Having been out of the streaming interest for a while, what’s the current better option to use between OBS and Streamlabs?

Fibre has finally arrived so I may play around with streaming again. Last recording 2 years ago :sweat_smile: (https://www.twitch.tv/yez_wp)

4 Likes

After the Pillow Fort was served with the Mixer eviction notice, I’ve spent a bit of time location scouting for a new home for my Pillow Fort.

• Facebook Gaming is pretty barebones but functional. Huge views potential, but low retention unless you’re a known name or pro. And, of course, there is the whole “it’s Facebook” issue on top of everything else.
  • The discoverability potential inherent in YouTube Gaming makes it an attractive proposition, but the sheer size and amount of content constantly being feed into YT’s gaping maw makes it a little daunting. Also, like FB, the tools and features available for livestreaming are a little limited.

Overall, I think these two are both better suited to curated, edited content that can be uploaded whenever you have something to share. A weekly compilation of funny clips, or an extracted portion from a long VOD to show a specific section for a quest, or just one stage of a rally, etc. Short form stuff that can be consumed whenever anyone wants to.

And that leaves just Twitch. This whole voyage of discovery into the weird world of streaming that I’ve now been on for over four years has come full circle and brought me back to the platform that I first tried using way back in August 2016. Imagine if I’d just stayed there from the beginning? I’d be crushing Ninja’s numbers and wouldn’t even have had to colour my hair weirdly. :smiley:

From here on out I think I’m going to focus only on Twitch and on putting together an entertaining channel without going OTT with the bells and whistles and flying monkey effects. I’m still going to experiment and mess around with stuff. For example, after an on stream chat with @Entity last week, I already want to work out a way to let a stream viewer call up their local weather and have it show up in chat. I’m also busy trying to figure out how to call and post random welcome messages for new followers - I think the generic Jimmy is now following us message is boring. So I won’t be completely bored in turn :smiley:

I still want to do a little more testing over the weekend, but I did make a semi commitment to Entity last night that I’m aiming to do some official streaming from next weekend.

In preparation for that momentous occasion, if you are in the Twitch area in the next few days, you are all invited to follow my Grizzled’s Pillow Fort Channel if you haven’t already. You may even catch me testing stuff. (But be nice - if you do see me with my lips moving but no sound coming out, please tell me once you’re done laughing!)

I’m also going back to spend some time on Discord as well again, and same thing there - if you are in the area, your’re all cordially invited to join that as well and leave me a rude gif or two.

(I haven’t worked out the what or how just yet, but I do want to do something special for MEWbies on the channel and on discord. Special badge, or emote or title or something like that - to thank you all for indulging an old man like you do :smiley: )

4 Likes

Some follow up questions quickly:

• @Beemerstein - how did you get approved for the FB Level Up program? Was it a legacy thing becuase you’ve been there since the beginning? My invitation to apply for Level Up coming from Mixer with monetisation approval says I can’t even apply because South Africa is not an eligible region.
  • @Entity - meant to ask you last night, but forgot. Which Twitch ingest server do you connect to?
  • @SIGSTART - same question, based on all your tests and streams over the last month.
3 Likes

@Kwaai

Slobs is heavier on your system than OBS Studio, If I had a better machine I’d use Slobs but alas, Studio it is. But studio does everything I need it to so no complaints.

@GregRedd

I already want to work out a way to let a stream viewer call up their local weather and have it show up in chat.

If you’re using Streamlabs Chatbot for your bot you can check out their chatbot discord which has lots of prebuilt commands to try.

The weather one was like this:

Command name: !weather
Details: display the weather of the selected CITY Response:

$readapi(http://api.scorpstuff.com/weather.php?units=metric&city=$msg) 

Usage : !weather Stockholm
Settings : you can change units=metric to units=imperial if you prefer the american measurements

Maybe that can help.

I’m also busy trying to figure out how to call and post random welcome messages for new followers

Also, if you’re using streamlabs as your notifications source, in the alert box section of your dashboard under the Follow section:

at the bottom you can add variations for your alerts. Maybe you can find something there:

Regarding the Servers, I start with Afrihost and most of the time they work fine. If I have an issue with them I move to Hyperlayer and then otherwise Coolideas. If I’m still getting problems then it’s better to just stop :slight_smile: But also, most problems go away after a few minutes so if you put up a BRB scene and hold on a bit it should be back to normal quickly.

Afrihost

• London - rtmp://fwd.afrihost.com/twitch

Hyperlayer

• London - rtmp://twitch.hyperlayer.co.za/live

CoolIdeas Client Relay

• London - rtmp://twitch.cisp.co.za/live
2 Likes

I did a bunch of pingtests and traceroutes before finally settling on HyperLayer’s ingest server.

They failed me one night, but came back online pretty quickly.

3 Likes

What specs are you using? I think I’ll try out OBS then as I do recall stream labs denting my performance. CPU / GPU stream?

Running a test stream using Streamlabs. Feedback welcomed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Stream looked good. Instantly better when you changed the game to 60fps.

I have such an old gpu it can’t be used to stream so my 3rd gen i5 does everything and dies doing it :grinning: So I use PS4 Remote Play and just stream the feed.

2 Likes

Thank you! I tested it using it using a 4000 bitrate, in the next attempt i’ll up that to 5000/6000 and see what difference that makes and any other problems that show up.

I had my previous template already setup in Streamlabs so just stuck with it, the veryfast preset worked well enough during that run.

I have seen your stream previously so that setup is definitely working well :slight_smile:

Any other tips / changes are appreciated.

3 Likes

Second @Entatee’s thoughts - your 720p60 VOD is good all round. Audio is nice and clear as well (I’m jealous of that - can’t get mine to work lekker - it’s either too soft or just not working half the time!)

2 Likes

Thank you.

For the audio I usually drop the master dial in game (As well as per user mic boost or drop in discord to level everyone out) so that we can hear each other nicely. Hopefully the other games turn out the same way too!

Once I’ve tried all I can to improve the stream as it is, then I’ll do the same for 1080p and compare the difference + knock in performance.

2 Likes