Microsoft Flight Simulator ✈

Saw that in one of Squirrels vids, frikken amazing to have real time reflections. Something so simple can be so mind blowing.

1 Like

Ha. That’s where I saw it too, and grabbed that screenshot from one of his videos.

1 Like

GripperSim and Reaction Review have one of the first looks at the launch code version of the game and takes a quick look around the user interface and does a quick flight to show us the basics…

2 Likes

95 on Metacritic and 93 on Opencritic at the moment. So this seems like a really great game indeed. I just wish that he pre-load worked on PC via the Xbox store

2 Likes

I just watched the IGN review. 10/10 Masterpiece.

1 Like

But does it have a career mode?

Just need to find the near 150+GB’s of SSD space for this marvel of a game in order to play it.

Just like any other proper sim doesn’t have or need a career, so this game doesn’t. And it’s better for it. A proper sim like this is about living out a fantasy of flying as real as possible, not follow some arbitrary career or story. That would be so out of place in any proper simulator.

2 Likes

Yeah I totally agree. I was kinda being facetious as this is the type of thing that often gets picked up or nit-picked for in reviews or critiques, and it’s just silly.

1 Like

cough Your temporary citizenship application has been approved - welcome to the beautiful island nation of Kiribati new citizen! cough

Honestly don’t know if you need to do both or not, but I did, and then rebooted.

Clicked on “Play” on MFS on the Store and got loaded into the game (eventually - took at least a minute or so). No “You’re too early” message. Pop-ups to confirm firewall access, then prompt to login to MS account (presumably to check Game Pass status), then a confirmation of accessibility options and now this…

That load bar at the bottom got to where it is pretty quickly, but hasn’t moved since I took that screenshot about 5 mins ago, so don’t know if it’s stuck or what right now. Going to leave it for a while and go back to work. Will update later if it works or not.

Well I still need to download the whole game, as in the Xbox app, when I clicked pre-install, it only downloaded 990MB of data. And the game is supposed to be 150GB. So yeah still have that to look forward to. But I’ll wait for the proper release.

1 Like

So my first attempt did not seem to work. Hard closed it, unistalled everything, and rebooted to try again. I think I may have accidentally clicked on the incorrect firewall option (the one that allows public connections, not the private one).

Second attempt is being done through the Xbox app as a Game Pass game. In that, clicked on Install, got the small 900+ MB file done and the Play button up. Click on that, MSFS starts again, firewall prompt (correctly set this time), MS account synch and check, and then straight into the “Content Manager”. Lets you confirm where to save content, and then starts downloading it.

This is the same system that was used for the Alpha and Beta stages - with pretty much everything downloaded in-game. It’s a little irritating because you can’t download the game files - or do updates in the future - in the background. You have to start the game and let it check if there’s content updates available. And while it’s updating you can’t play. Hopefully it’s just this initial download that so big, and the subsequent patches and updates are not all COD: Modern Warfare sized.

The download is running, but fairly slowly - if I do get it installed and downloaded, where should I go to first?

1 Like

So my business partner, who is a real flight enthusiast (did his PPL and busy racking up flight hours) and who got into the beta for FS2020 a couple of weeks ago, graciously donated his unused Thurstmaster Warthog flight stick to me today! He said it’s right handed stick and he only flies with left handed sticks, so the Warthog has been gathering dust for a year since he bought it. So he’s shipping it to me tomorrow, so hopefully I can enjoy FS2020 as it should be… with a flight stick. I’ll see if the bug bites me before getting a throttle as well to match the stick.

Geez, with my new G920 and the flight stick all arriving in a week’s time, my desk is going to be cluttered with peripherals!

2 Likes

The pub

1 Like

Wow, not only are you getting a flight stick, you’re getting arguably the best there is. I’m so jealous!

My first flight will be from Lanseria to Skukuza, a flight I wish I could be taking in real life. I’ll just have to settle for virtual. Also go try and find your house!

2 Likes

Did that in the Alpha and the Beta - sadly not accurately modelled at all, just auto-generated buildings. Doubt they’ve changed it for release, but hopefully eventually we’ll get a little love for our neighbourhoods.

Still, the scope and magnitude of being to fly anywhere with fully built up cities is already a great achievement and will make for some immersive exploration.

2 Likes

It’s got that chill Euro Truck Simulator vibe to it, not something you have fun with but something you enjoy.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to trying it, especially when they implement VR support, I think that’s going to be amazing.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here…

4 Likes