Microsoft Flight Simulator ✈

2 Likes

It’s also quickly becoming the new “But can it run Crysis?”

Here’s Toms Hardware’s detailed performance tests and benchmarks:

At Ultra settings, even 2080 cards are struggling to maintain 40fps!

I was getting stuttering last night in areas I hadn’t flown in before, so presumably not in my cached files. Going to try these suggested “tuned” settings tonight:

included a ‘tuned’ result where we’ve set terrain LOD to 125, building to medium, trees to high, objects LOD to 50, volumetric clouds to medium, anisotropic filtering to x2, texture supersampling to 2x2, water waves to medium, shadow maps to 1024, terrain shadows to 256, ambient occlusion to medium, reflections at medium, and light shafts to medium. This represents our ‘tuned’ settings in the above charts, giving performance that nearly matches the medium preset but with visuals closer to the high preset.

3 Likes

That graph is horrible, shame on Tom.

1. 99th Min? What the flip is that?
  2. The big one: AMD cards are all red horizontal bars, so why are all the nVidia cards blue? It totally should’ve been green!
3 Likes
  1. It’s the 99th percentile minimum average. As opposed to listing that handful of errant fps moments when your frame rate tanks completely for a micro-second or two as the minimum fps, the lowest 1% of minimum frames over the test period are excluded, and the remaining 99% are averaged out to get a representative minimum fps.
  2. Agree wholeheartedly. Or at least, I have a minimum of 99% agreement with you. :smiley:
2 Likes
  1. But then surely the black graph would be higher than the average? If you take a set of numbers, remove any numbers that are lower than the average of the original set, the new average must be higher…
  2. I’m glad to hear that! :smiley:
1 Like

I’m just hear for the glorious screen shots…

1 Like

I think it also eliminates the outlying high spikes in framerate hence the lowering of the average

2 Likes

Doing a Cape Town International to OR Tambo flight as my first attempt, with live weather. The wind above Ceres is killing me!

5 Likes

Approaching the Karoo now. This game is truly beautiful even on medium settings!

Using the flight stick is also an absolute joy. I can’t imagine not having the hat switch under my thumb to constantly adjust the trim. I might just become a flight enthusiast yet…

EDIT 1: And some dramatic sunset lighting as I’m entering the inland:

EDIT 2: Last bit of twilight outside as I’m approaching Kimberley. It’s pitch black in front of me, so instrument flying is a must:

4 Likes

Oh my word! I just realised you can snap the in-game windows (map, ATC, etc) OUT OF THE GAME TO A SEPARATE MONITOR! This is probably one of the best features in the game so far. Now I can fully utilise my multi-monitor setup for the game!

5 Likes

I finally had a chance to give this a go. Did some flying lessons and then tried taking off from a small airstrip in the Drakensberg mountains. At first I had it set as real time weather and time settings, but it was so dark I had to take off using instruments which worked kind-off, didn’t have enough speed. So I tried it in the day time and see that this “air strip” is merely a flat piece of ground surrounded by rolling hills. Managed to get up in the air and start heading towards Durban.

I need to tweak the graphics settings though. My Vega 64 handles things fine but my old i5 6600K is struggling. I get insane frame drop in the first minute or so while content is loading in, maxing out the CPU, and then once that’s done it runs fine. On a longer flight this happens every few minutes when a new section is loaded.

2 Likes

How long did this flight take you and did you Autopilot or use assists etc?

No auto pilot and default assists (not sure what they are). Currently sitting at around 100 minutes and only just before Kimberley. Didn’t get to finish the flight, might do so later today or tonight.

1 Like

Hmm, seems that this stuttering is a bug - will have to try out the workaround until MS fixes it.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, so the flights are representitive of a real world trip in iterms of times, and great that you can save your progress mid flight.

I’ve come to enjoy the Beechcraft King Air 350i quite a lot. It’s a fun turboprop plabe that I’ve taken to all the major airports in SA. It’s fun to plan the route, take off, set autopilot, and continue working during the day.

So far I’ve taken it on the following trips:

JHB to DBN
JHB to PE
PE to CPT
JHB to CPT

All successful flight. Next stop to taking this baby to the north, somewhere in Africa.

3 Likes

checking “Processor Scheduling,” under Advanced system settings > performance > Settings’ > Tab advanced…
…changed my processor scheduling setting to “background services.”

Are these in-game settings, or system settings somewhere?

I see there are landing challenges, but do they offer any other forms of challenges or scenarios?

System settings. You can type “Advanced System Settings” in the Windows search bar.

I would only set this to Background Services for Flight Sim - as it may mean less performance in other games.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, but I can’t figure out a way to set “background services” for a specific programme…

…and as you suggest, I’m concerned about the potential impact on other things.