Microsoft Flight Simulator ✈

And two other mods I found that are well worth looking into:

And from the same place, the Mega Liveries Pack:

2 Likes

Patch #2, which takes the game to build version 1.8.3.0, is out now. At around 11.5GB and a page and a half of patch notes, there seems to be a lot in it.

Full patch notes are here:

But the performance section is the one we’re all really interested in…

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT

• Optimized cockpit screen display when screens are not displayed on screen.
  • New option available to control cockpit screen update frequency.
  • Tweaked CPU thread priorities to reduce interruption of frame critical threads.
  • Optimized loading system to reduce overall loading times.
  • Optimized heavy airport scenes impact on CPU.
  • Reduced the amount of GPU overdraw to improve GPU performance.
  • Memory optimizations to reduce software memory footprint and improve performance on memory limited computers.
  • Overall performance optimizations.

Oh, and remember… updates to MSFS are done in-game, so be sure to launch and run the game and start the update download well in advance of the next flight you want to take.

2 Likes

This is such an unbelievably good video. It even brought a tear to my eyes

2 Likes

The first MSFS World Update (“World Update I: Japan”) is out today:

Here’s Obsidian Ants’ thoughts on the update preview:

(I did launch the game during lunch to see how big the update patch is, but nothing installed, so it may not yet be available?)

Update is out now. Do the small program update through the Windows Store first (661MB), then launch the game and the World Update should start automatically. It’s 7.4GB, so should be easy to take care of if you start it before heading to the gym for your evening workout*…

* :rofl: I amuse myself sometimes.

2 Likes

Anyone fancy a challenge?

3 Likes

Another update inbound:

The sixth and final video in Asobo Studios World Tour was released a few days ago, so I’ve added all six of them into a dedicated YT playlist.

It’s a mesmerizing 20 minute aerial tour of our incredible planet. In a video game. (If you have the bandwidth and speed, go with the 4K option - you will not be disappointed).

A. Video. Game. !

1 Like
1 Like

Thats insane! So detailed!

3 Likes

Anyone still flying places? I haven’t gotten round to reinstalling since my early December hard drive cleanup, but after seeing the latest improvements from the U.K. and Ireland update I think I may have to try to carve out some time soon to go flying again…

1 Like

Wrong!!! Big Ben is currently closed up in scaffolding! Game is broken! Uninstall!

2 Likes

I tried it in VR not too long ago, but even with settings dialed down to -1 I couldn’t get a smooth experience. It was incredibly choppy and jittery and hurt my eyes and brain. I actually cancelled my Game Pass sub this month, as I realised I’m not playing any of the games on there. When I’m over my VR craze, they add more VR content or I have a RTX3xxx graphics card, I’ll reconsider subbing again.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hooray! My hard drive thanks you.

We performed some optimization for the initial full download of the title so the base game is only 83GB instead of +170GB.

2 Likes

That is some optimisation.

1 Like
2 Likes

Sim Update 5 for for MSFS is out today, to coincide with the Xbox Series X|S launch. Series X and S Game Pass subscribers get access to the gamefrom today as well.

World Update V: Nordics brings a raft of improvements to the Nordic regions, as well as the usual bug fixes and game improvements.

Microsoft Flight Simulator has improved data for 100 airports throughout the region and there are 77 new points of interest for you to explore across Northern Europe.

In addition to this, there are five additional Landing Challenges to tackle at the following airports:

• Denmark’s Bornholm,
  • Iceland’s Ísafjörður,
  • Sweden’s Stockholm Arlanda,
  • Norway’s Svalbard,
  • Finland’s Vaasa

Players can add the World Update to their installed game using the in-game Marketplace. Find Update 5 (and all the previous World Updates) in the Catalogue > Free Content section.

Obisdian Ant has some suggestions on things to try in Update 5:

2 Likes

This is how you do it…

2 Likes

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! :smiley:

3 Likes