Microsoft Flight Simulator ✈

So I finally got into the game and tried out Sim Update 5 last night on PC. My only question is: HOW?? How is it possible that Microsoft and Asobo got this game working like this? I went from getting around about 20 to 30 FPS in busy areas like London to getting over 40 FPS, even hitting 60 in some parts? How did they take a game that was utterly crushing PC’s of any kind, and optimized it this well?

Honestly if you haven’t played MSFS in a while, do yourself a favour and install it again, it is mind blowing how cool the game is when its running this well!

5 Likes

Can I play with my steering wheel?

2 Likes

You want to drive an airplane?

2 Likes

Time for a flight rig! And more Thrustmaster gear. I’m sure your wife will be thrilled :smile:

2 Likes

You do need rudder pedals in a plane,so I guess some of you rig could pull double duty… :thinking:

1 Like

The rudder pedals are quite different to racing pedals… So it doesn’t quite work that way. :grin:

2 Likes

Benchmark Lab’s Sim Update 4 vs. Sim Update 5 benchmarks comparison:

And their Xbox Series X vs. PC Ultra visual comparison:

1 Like

It is aparent that I need an Xbox Series X.

kthnxbye

2 Likes

I am loving this. Took a small flight from Koblenz to Frankfurt and watched the sunrise. The views were breathtaking.

3 Likes

Has anyone attempted, or been successfull, with any of the bush trips? I’m kinda keen to try them out, might give it a bash over the weekend.

I’ve done a few of the Bush trips. Did the Alaska one as well as the one where you fly from Croatia to Greece. They are really fun and a good challenge for your navigational skills. You need to carefully check the instructions, environment and keep good track of timing to be successful. Don’t worry there is a VFR map you could check to make sure you’re on the right track.

2 Likes

This game continues to astound me.

1 Like

Yeah it does! I tried it in VR with a HOTAS last weekend and it was astounding. Very demanding on hardware, but even on low settings it was incredibly immersive.

2 Likes

World Update VII: Australia is out. And it looks incredible!

Here’s the detailed release notes:

1 Like

Man every update the game looks so amazing I want to reinstall it, then I remember it’s the file size of a medium size server hosting farm.

3 Likes

They did chop the install size significantly last year (from 170GB to around 85GB) but it’s still a hefty install all the same.

The World Updates are optional now and managed through the in-game market as “Free Add-ons”. So ideally you just install the area that you want to visit, tour around there for a bit, and then uninstall that one when you’re done.

Not the perfect solution if you want to do a long-haul flight from Perth to Paris though :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Well, look at that. I didn’t know they got the install smaller. That now sounds like a tempting offer, but HITMAN is on my to-play list and it is itself a chonker of a game. I’ll probably install MSFS again after the next World Update.

1 Like

Yeah, I also uninstalled it from my Xbox as it takes up approx. half of the storage.

Still pushing out the regular, incredibly well made, updates. This time around is Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, and Andorra World Update. The free update is available from today.

Explore coastal nooks of the Mediterranean and Atlantic, the heights of the Pyrenees, and the legendary architecture of Lisbon and Madrid with World Update VIII: Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, and Andorra. This beautiful region has been enhanced with a variety of new, high resolution geographic improvements, including elevation data, photogrammetry, and aerial imagery. The update also includes four handcrafted airports, 99 custom points of interest, and 13 new activities: four bush trips, four fresh discovery flights, and five new landing challenges.

2 Likes

Take your skills to stratospheric heights with the free Top Gun: Maverick expansion, available now in Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Develop the skills required and navigate complexities encountered by actual Top Gun pilots in authentic locations, including a carrier deck landing challenge, one of the most demanding operations in the world of military aviation. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion also contains a Maverick Edition livery for the F/A-18E Super Hornet, Super Hornet training missions that will introduce you to radical flight maneuvers, five high-speed, low-level challenges through mountains and canyons, a never-before-unveiled hypersonic aircraft, and a mission to roar into the stratosphere.

I so need a new CPU, RAM upgrade, 4K monitor. Stat.

2 Likes