Microsoft now owns Bethesda

dont have time for an article

3 Likes

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-21-microsoft-buying-zenimax-parent-company-of-bethesda-id-software-and-more-report

2 Likes

Hot damn I see Twitter is properly exploding over this. This is a massive buy for Xbox. According to Jason Schreier, the deal was for $7.5 Billion.

Other fun facts, because of this deal, Microsoft is bringing 2 PlayStation 5 timed exclusive games out…Deathloop (published by Bethesda, now Microsoft) and Ghostwire Tokyo (same deal)

4 Likes

That is a huge buy for them, goeie bliksem, who else will they buy?

1 Like

Whoah!

Elder Scrolls VI coming to Game Pass! Whoop whoop!

3 Likes

Woohoo!

Are we going to see Bethesda games at launch on Game Pass? Oh man that would be amazeballs!

2 Likes

warner interactive entertainment :rofl:

Rumour is they are in talks to acquire bungie again and I always hoped that remedy would become 1st party one day

or they can always buy embracer group that owns thq and deepsilver :joy:

4 Likes

Zenimax’s games will also join Xbox Game Pass for console and PC.

that is awesome

2 Likes

This also opens the door for obsidian to work on the fallout universe again since MS is the IP owner now

6 Likes

Holy shit. You are right @DohcWP!

3 Likes

They’ll probably (hopefully) be too busy with Avowed. But a proper sequel to New Vegas would be amazing.

3 Likes

Wow, this is huge.

2 Likes

You paid the money, now make it happen MS!!!

6 Likes

they can now add doomguy to killer instinct :grinning:

2 Likes

Machines games that develops wolfenstein would make a killer perfect dark game

1 Like

I honestly can’t see them making all the games going forward MS exclusives. I’m sure Bethesda’s games have made a lot of money on PS and other platforms.

Time will tell though, strangers things have happened.

1 Like

well ms is not adverse to having some of their franchises on other platforms, but im sure some will be kept to xbox/pc and maybe switch exclusivity.

Ms dont care about hardware sales (cause thats always sold at a loss), they care about software sales and subscription sales. Sony might sell more consoles but MS is raking in more money from their games.

3 Likes

This

MS has changed their whole attitude to gaming from selling consoles to selling services. A repeatable business model where they can make much more money than selling consoles.

Also a quote from the Xbox announcement from their website:

“We will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC.”

These games will be added to Game Pass. Both PC and Xbox versions of the service, so while some games might still go to Sony and Nintendo, they are far more concerned in getting people on Game Pass.

4 Likes

We’ll see. Both Sony and Nintendo also sell a lot of software on top of dominating the hardware sales. Look at sales for Animal Crossing New Horizons and Ghost of Tsushima as an example.

Competition is good for the industry so I’m glad to see MS getting some more good studios under their umbrella.

Sony have said they don’t see a service like game pass as being sustainable for them which kind of sucks. I was hoping for a “PS Plus Pass” on PS5.

My ultimate goal is to have a PS5 and Xbox S/X and whatever Nintendo does next anyway.

2 Likes

That’s kind of funny, because Dishonored 2 is just about to leave gamepass. I wonder if it will be re-added immediately.

1 Like