Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard

Xbox moving ahead with their 10-year assurance to share plan for Nvidia GeForce NOW users, and launching today already.

Gears 5 is available from today, Deathloop, Grounded, and Pentiment follow next week.

Clearly a move to highlight how they are more than happy to help competitors in the cloud gaming space develop their products and improve their customers options. The complete opposite of competitive the behaviour the CMA are concerned about and based their decision on.

1 Like

What if MS just says: “We are not buying Activision anymore and just want to help this fledgeling studio. So here, we are donating you a few billion.” Then Activision stops developing for PS…

2 Likes

Even the Chinese, who are notoriously anti-Western commercial success, support the deal.

Microsoft confirms China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) has unconditionally approved its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, making it the 37th country to support the deal !

(https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1659606849316962322/photo/1)

2 Likes

Microsoft has lodged its formal appeal against the CMAs ruling.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Good question! It has been dragging on a bit lately. I see this CMA appeal could take months to be processed, so :man_shrugging:t2:

But also I remember reading somewhere that there’s a cutoff point coming soon (June/July?) that if the deal is finalised one way or another MS will have to start paying penalties to ABK to compensate them for keeping them unavailable to other potential buyers for so long.

1 Like

Absolutely, what I recall was an intended conclusion of around June/July as you’ve highlighted. My expectation has always been a bit further along like August/September, but with all these delays and whatnot, it may seem like this is pushing further and further out.

2 Likes

I’ve spent a fair amount of time with [Phil] Spencer [and] Bobby [Kotick] and I’m pretty sure we will continue to see Call of Duty on PlayStation for years to come.”

“We have some good stuff cooking. I’m not complacent, I’d rather this didn’t happen, but we’ll be OK, we’ll be more than OK.”

“Today showed Sony has known all along we’ll stand by our promise to keep games on its platform and made clear its work to lobby against the deal is only to protect its dominant position in the market.”

2 Likes

A BIG win for MS against the FTC. Judge denies FTC injunction to halt acquisition. Just the silly Brits now standing alone in opposition, and they’re now using terms like “working with Microsoft to find a resolution” after the heavy backlash they got for their decision.

US market reaction was immediate:

ATVI up over 11% today already, and at a 1 year high.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I think at this point attorneys or advocates are simply on the train because this is something that would look good on their resume.

4 Likes

And make a truckload of money.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1679993065770024965

Expect things to happen over the weekend, and an announcement on Monday…

3 Likes

Dear FTC, You’re with stupid :joy:

4 Likes

That moment when it sinks in that microsoft now own sony’s former mascot :smile:

3 Likes

Sony owns Bungie, and Halo was kind of an Xbox franchise. Strange times.

4 Likes

Things are moving at full speed now…

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1680578783718383616?s=20

2 Likes

Someone with photoshop skills…

Edit the engraving to say Microsoft and Game Pass

“One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.”

3 Likes

Microsoft still owns halo however, bungie left but ms kept the IP.

But not only crash but also spyro is now essentially microsoft owned ip’s when the deal is sealed

4 Likes

There is a small part of me that wanted MS to say to Sony “Sorry, the deal is now off the table after all the bad blood comments. We will decide on a year to year basis if you deserve CoD.” You know, just becaue they can.

2 Likes