Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard

This sums up most of my feelings about this situation… just get it done already.

3 Likes

I must be getting old as I enjoy reading lengthy articles about mergers and patent law!

This blog does a great job of changing the narrative from criticism and objection to solutions and excitement.

4 Likes

Hey, don’t blame “getting old”. I’m frikken old and I don’t enjoy reading lengthy articles about mergers and patent law! You don’t enjoy it because you’re getting old, you enjoy it because you’re weird.

4 Likes

Closet lawyer you are.

4 Likes

CMA softens concerns over Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard deal. - The Verge

The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has provisionally concluded that Microsoft’s proposed Activision Blizzard deal “will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in console gaming services because the cost to Microsoft of withholding Call of Duty from PlayStation would outweigh any gains from taking such action.” The CMA still has concerns around the cloud gaming market, but a key issue over Call of Duty has now been addressed.

4 Likes

Another step closer to the deal getting done, this time from the home of Sony…

And the UK’s CMA is also loosening the language of its pending final decision - due sometime in late April.

4 Likes

After five months of investigation, the UK regulator provisionally found in February that the deal could reduce competition and “result in higher prices, fewer choices, or less innovation for UK gamers”.

However, a month later the CMA seemingly reversed its decision, saying it had updated its provisional findings after receiving fresh evidence that alleviated some of its concerns about the $69 billion deal.

3 Likes

Another green tick in the “Yes” column - this time from our very own Competition Commission.

3 Likes

Well that’s a bit of a blow… Sounds like a bit of old bollocks to me - “cquisition would lead to “reduced innovation and less choice” in cloud gaming”. Pommie chops.

Appeals incoming, strong words from Activision:

“The report’s conclusions are a disservice to U.K. citizens, who face increasingly dire economic prospects,” the spokesperson said. “We will reassess our growth plans for the U.K. Global innovators large and small will take note that — despite all its rhetoric — the U.K. is clearly closed for business.”

1 Like
2 Likes

MS should just pull a doos move, and buy the COD IP from activision and make it exclusive as an F U to Sony, they cant block an ip acquisition afaik.

3 Likes

That is actually such a great move! Dont sell off the CoD IP to other comoanies, just buy the CoD IP! Love it!

2 Likes

Grumpy Microsoft is grumpy.

1 Like

Cloud gaming isn’t a huge market, just ask Google

Google was one of the first to go big on cloud gaming, and let’s face it, had plenty of resources at its disposal. Past reports suggested tens of millions of dollars being waved around to entice big games to the platform. And where is it now? Oh yeah, it’s dead. Memes about Google killing things aside, that huge investment still wasn’t enough to make Stadia a viable business.

Admittedly, it was a very different business model to Microsoft’s. And I’d argue that Stadia should have been more like Xbox Game Pass and Amazon Luna to begin with. But this stuff is expensive, and it’s still nowhere near as accessible as it needs to be for it to be a credible, long-term solution for gamers.

1 Like

Interesting

https://twitter.com/PostUp_SOG/status/1653283843061809152?t=Dwgobpx_HDz6dkMQ1dY3GQ&s=19

3 Likes

The EUs decision in a few weeks’ time is going to be crucial. If they approve it, I think MS will use their decision to boost the appeal with the UK. If the EU also reject the merger, I think MS will cut their losses and withdraw to restructure the deal somehow.

1 Like

Decision announced:

2 Likes

And for some bizarre reason, in response to the EU decision the UKs CMA felt the need to double down on their dumb decision, via Twitter of all places:

https://twitter.com/CMAgovUK/status/1658131211967971328?s=20

2 Likes

So what, the CMA are telling MS that an appeal will be a waste of time because they are too stubborn and frail to admit that maybe there is room for differing opinions?

3 Likes
3 Likes