Most Disappointing event/game of the year 2019 Nominations

What is a year of gaming without controversies and disappointments. We’ve seen our fair share of disappointing events this year as well.

Nominate as many games or events as you want. The most nominated titles up to 8 titles will be selected to go into the final list to vote for.

Enter your nominations in the thread below.

2 Likes

The state of the Epic Games Store.

4 Likes

Blizzard 2019
Fallout subscription
Anthem
Devil May Cry 5

3 Likes

Epic exclusive poaching
Blizzard various (Hong Kong & the news about paid for extras in Diablo IV)

3 Likes

I will second this list

And then add EA and Anthem for good measure

1 Like
  • Everything related to the Epic Games Store
2 Likes

Epic Games store
Anthem
Blizzard and the Hong Kong debacle

1 Like

Fallout 76 - So looked forward to this, missed it at launch and now I am SOOO grateful I did!

4 Likes
  1. Activision Blizzard and EA announcing retrenchments of staff. Activision Blizzard cut 775 jobs (8% of its workforce), despite announcing a record quarter. EA cut 350 jobs (4%).
  2. Activision Blizzard’s response to Hearthstone player Ng Wai “blitzchung” Chung saying “Free Hong Kong” in a post-match livestream.
  3. Epic Store “exclusives” — Really, these are not exclusives but an (unholy) alliance of Epic and Microsoft against other launchers/platforms in PC games retail. I’m especially sad that Borderlands 3 and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are not available on a retail platform with preferential ZA pricing.
  4. Anthem release. Man, I wanted to like that game.

Update

Retracted my previous comments about Fallout 76. It was released in November, I think after the nominations were already in for our 2018 MEGotY Awards. Thus:

1. Fallout 76
2 Likes
  • Anthem for sure - I really wanted that to succeed, if only for Bioware’s sake.

• The general lack of blockbuster titles in at least the first half of the year

• General corporate greed, in the way of layoffs and abusive microtransaction practices

3 Likes

This right here.
Blizzard nonsense with the politics.

2 Likes

Anthem
Activision Blizzard layoffs

2 Likes

Why DMC5?

1 Like

I didn’t enjoy it. It looked amazing and I was amped to play it, but I didn’t like it for some reason. I prefer DmC.

1 Like

So the Epic Store is disappointing some of you now? I searched and read through some other threads about it and am surprised that it stands out as being one of the biggest disappointments this year.
Each to their own. For me:

Blizz Activision Layoffs
Blizzard Hearthstone Ban
DOOM delay

3 Likes

I’m with you @LazyDemoni. Got lots of free games and bought some nice cheap games thanks to the Epic Store.

5 Likes

/cc @Solitude

It’s just because I’m a cheap, spoiled bastard. Steam actually only launched ZAR support relatively recently, but before that I would buy physical copies of games at local retailers.

I would switch to GOG as my platform of choice the second they launch ZAR and preferential pricing for South Africans.

4 Likes

GOTY Related:

• Anthem
  • Fallout 76
  • Crackdown 3
  • Blizzardgate
  • The Epic Games Store
  • Live service games designed to either force you to play for hours on end in order to progress, or to open your wallet if you want to get anywhere.

Personal:

• Frontier Developments continued lack of regional pricing for their DLCs and Expansion Packs.
  • Discovering @DieGrootHammer doesn’t like Star Citizen :slight_smile:
2 Likes