Most Epic Game of the Year 2021 Discussion Thread

The end of the year draws nearer, and it means we as a community must hand out the most prestigious award in all of gaming, the MEW Game Of The Year Awards!

We will continue with our normal process of getting all the nomination threads in first, where you will get the chance to nominate as many games as you want for in each category. Each category will have 10 nominations pre-selected, but you are more than welcome to nominate any other game in any category. The rest of the community can then vote by liking your comment.

The highest voted 5 games in each category, including the highest voted suggestions in the comments, will then move on to the final round of voting, where the best game in each category will be selected. In this final voting you will only be able to vote for one game, and the game with the highest number of voted will be crowed the best in the category.

So to summarize:

• There will be 10 pre-determined nominations in each category that everyone can vote on.
  • You will be able to vote for as many games as you want from these lists.
  • The top 5 in each category will go on to the final vote, and may include the write-in should it gather enough support from the community.
  • The final vote will be a single vote in each category to determine the best in each category.
  • Once all the votes are counted (and we WILL COUNT ALL THE VOTES), the best in each category will be announced

The list of categories again sees a few small changes. Some new categories added, as well as new names for some others. The new categories are as follows:

• Best game released on Xbox One in 2021
  • Best game released on PlayStation 4 in 2021
  • Best game released on Nintendo Switch in 2021
  • Best game released on PC in 2021
  • Best game to play with your friends released in 2021
  • The Tell Me A Story award for 2021
  • The Indie Darling of 2021
  • Best game to Shoot A Man In The Face 2021
  • Best Sportsball game of 2021
  • Best “I Swear I’m Working” game award 2021
  • Best game we’re still playing 2021
  • Old games made better in 2021
  • Most Anticipated game of 2021
  • The Most Epic Game Of The Year Award 2021

The threads for each category will also include details on what each category means and why the games were selected. I will be creating the threads today throughout the day, and voting will officially start from today. We will give until 24 November to vote in all the threads, after which the final round threads will be created, and voting on them will start on 25 November until 3 December. It is then when we will crown our Game Of the Year.

I would also like to extend an invitation to everyone, please vote on all the threads. I know it is impossible to play all the games that’s been released this year, but you should have some indication on their quality to make a decision on which game you want to see win in each category.

5 Likes

Phew, can’t believe it’s already that time of the year. Crazy.

3 Likes

I think I only bought one game this year… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Same here. Only game I bought was Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

3 Likes

All power to you for taking on the challenge of coordinating the MEW GOTY again this year - I hope for your sake Baby Hammer let’s you do your thing :smiley:

To clarify the Best Game Released on (Platform) in 2021 categories…

• These don’t have to be platform exclusives do they? Can I nominate Forza Horizon 5 for example on both Xbox and PC?
  • They can be games that released on a different platform in previous years and only came to a specific platform this year? Something like Days Gone which was a PS release in 2019, but only came to PC in May this year. Could I nominate it as a Best Release on PC for this year?

Also, can we settle up front on a From-To date range for eligibility.

I can’t remember what the cutoff was for last year, but there were possibly some games in December-ish of 2020 that may warrant a look at for this year. This year again there’s a couple of games releasing late November/early December that may warrant nominations, (new Syberia game, Halo Infinite, for eg). Obviously you don’t want to leave it too late into the year to allow you enough time to do all the things.

5 Likes

Great suggestion and thank you for the input.

Last year’s GOTY awards were all games considered up to November 2020, so for any game to be nominated for this year, the date range will be December 2020 up to November 2021. Any game released in this time can be considered in the categories, except those were we have a more unique category.

Also, there will be 10 games already nominated that you can vote for, which will include many game you most probably want to nominate. But you can vote or nominate any game in any category. As long as the game was released this year, it really doesn’t matter which platform you nominate it for. So nominate Forza Horizon 5 on both Xbox and PC (spoiler, it’s already nominated on both…)

Threads will be up in the next 2 hours hopefully if all planning goes well

4 Likes

Thanks to Game Pass I actually have some current games I can nominate for these awards!

5 Likes

Right, all the threads have been created. Please go ahead and vote, comment, like and nominate games in each thread for those games you want to see in each category to go to the final vote.

Here is the links to all threads:

Best game released on Xbox in 2021
Best game released on PlayStation in 2021
Best game released on Nintendo Switch in 2021
Best game released on PC in 2021
Best game to play with your friends released in 2021
The Tell Me A Story award for 2021
The Indie Darling of 2021
Best game to Shoot A Man In The Face 2021
Best Sportsball game of 2021
Best “I Swear I’m Working” game award 2021
Best game we’re still playing 2021
Old games made better in 2021
Most Anticipated game of 2021
The Most Epic Game Of The Year Award 2021

5 Likes

Friendly reminder to all to go and vote for any and all the games, and go and nominate more games in each category:

5 Likes

Another friendly reminder to all if you have not yet voted or nominated any games. Remember to go into the comments and vote on any suggestion as well.

4 Likes

While I know I did say the nominations will be done yesterday, please use this as the final reminder to all if you still have to yet voted or nominated any games. The polls will be closed tomorrow afternoon or hurry and nominate away

2 Likes

All the final voting polls are now open and ready for voting. All the nominations are done and we’re now voting for the final best games of 2021

Below are the links to all the threads

5 Likes

Aaaand… voted

3 Likes

Voted!

2 Likes

Done voting.

3 Likes

Friendly reminder to vote in all categories if you have not yet done so

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for voting in this year’s Most Epic Game of the Year awards. The polls are now closed and the winner’s will be announced shortly

3 Likes