Most Epic Game of the Year Discussion Thread

Ladies and gentleman, it’s that time of the year again. Time for us to choose the best games released within the year. This year has truly been a different year, a year that has impacted the gaming world considerably. No matter, there has been some truly amazing games that’s been released this year.

In our previous installments, we opened up nominations to the entire forum, getting everyone’s input on which games should get nominations for the final vote. What I found by going through those old threads is that some categories came back with either a high number of nominations that may not stand a chance in the final vote. Same goes for categories where there were far too few nominations.

This is why I’ve been working on a list of 10 nominations in each category that we will be able to vote on, with one spot open for any write-in games should they get enough support from the rest of the community.

I’ve also seen the vote for only one game thing doesn’t really work all that well for the first round. People should be able to choose as many games from the list as they want, and through that the best games will gather the most votes and be the ones that will move onto the final vote.

So this year our GOTY voting will work like this:

• There will be 10 pre-determined nominations in each category that everyone can vote on.
  • You will be able to vote for as many games as you want from these lists.
  • The top 5 in each category will go on to the final vote, and may include the write-in should it gather enough support from the community.
  • The final vote will be a single vote in each category to determine the best in each category.
  • Once all the votes are counted (and we WILL COUNT ALL THE VOTES), the best in each category will be announced

The list of categories have also changed a bit from last year. I’ve removed some categories and added some others. Seeing as this year has already been so full of negative thing, the Most Disappointing category has been removed. So has the more niche categories as there has not been enough games released in their categories to warrant running them again. I have added some niche categories where enough games could be nominated.

So the list of categories for this year will be the following:

• Best game released on Xbox One in 2020
  • Best game released on PlayStation 4 in 2020
  • Best game released on Nintendo Switch in 2020
  • Best game released on PC in 2020
  • Best multiplayer game of 2020
  • Best story in a game for 2020
  • Best indie game for 2020
  • The Rev Your Engine Award 2020
  • Best game that made us forget about Covid 2020
  • The best game we’re still playing in 2020
  • The best gaming technology released in 2020
  • The most anticipated game
  • The Most Epic Game Of The Year Award 2020

Regarding timings, I will start prepping the threads and start posting them from Thursday. Voting will be open for 1 week on the nomination threads, after which I will create the final voting round threads. These threads will be open for voting, and by the end of the month we will have the winners of the 4th annual MEW GOTY AWARDS!

Let me know if there is anything to be added or discussed.

7 Likes

I can barely remember what I played this year, only Doom Eternal and Ori come to mind.

1 Like

Ori was good.

Trying to think of other 2020 releases…

2 Likes

So far my GOTY is probably Nioh 2 or Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edtition but I think Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity that’s coming next week will change things.

1 Like

Thinking of 2020 games was a tough thing. This is why I decided to put the list together so you don’t have to think about games, just vote!

2 Likes

When is the cut off (release) date for games to be included?

Just thinking about things like Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla, Yakuza 7, Hyrule Warriors and of course Cyberpunk (hoping and praying :p).

2 Likes

Games that are as of right now playable will be eligible. Will not be including Cyberpunk in any list except most anticipated

2 Likes

I see. Yeah Cyberpunk is still a while of so it’s understandable. All the other games I mentioned are playable right now except Hyrule Warriors which releases next Friday.

1 Like

I’m thinking about adding one extra category to the list. While finalizing all the nomination lists I noticed that there has been a number of good remastered games this year. Perhaps having them all in a separate category might be fun. Any objections to doing this?

3 Likes

I’m going to be in a lot of meetings today. Will look at this thread properly tomorrow.

1 Like

I would do it, cos that is what we end up playing.

1 Like

Hades came out in 2020. That’s all I could find in my Steam invoices… the rest were older games that were on sale :confused:

I think I owe myself a Watch Dogs, to make up for the lack of new games this year.

2 Likes

Sweet, that means Hades is then the second game of this year that i have played XD

3 Likes

My votes were pretty one sided. I only bought one 2020 game, and that was Persona 5 Royal. I did get a few older ones, but they don’t qualify. I also haven’t read/watched any reviews/etc, so I don’t even know what half those games in the voting are…

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Remember to go and vote for whatever game you want and go comment and like the additional nominations made in each thread. The threads will be up until the end of the week and then I will compile the final lists that will go into final voting.

3 Likes

Please remind us one last time before then so that we can go back to the threads to see if there are any additional/new nominations in the comments to Like.

3 Likes

I shall bump-ity bump this post each day until the last day to ensure everyone remembers and goes to vote and like all the nominations.

5 Likes

I think I voted everywhere. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve only voted on games that I have personally experienced, I think.

Like I can’t understand how AC Valhalla could be considered our GOTY when I don’t think anyone here has actually completed it. Or do we just vote on the general consensus of what opinions are out there and based on reviews?

1 Like

I guess you need to vote on what you think would be the best if you haven’t played many. We don’t have the largest sample size here so we would end up with very few votes I believe.

3 Likes