Most Epic Podcast 0 sign-ups and topic suggestions

I’ve cut together the first podcast, leaving it at just under 2 hours runtime.

My next challenge—hosting—is proving to be trickier than I thought it would be.

Everyone uses Libsyn, so it was an obvious first choice, but 2 hours of audio weighs in at over 100MB regardless of what I compress it with (tried MP3, Ogg, M4A, AC3…). That means we’d need at least Libsyn’s $15/month tier.

No problem, second choice is PodBean at $9 per month for unlimited bandwidth — except that’s only if you pay a year in advance. It’s $14 per month if you go month-to-month. Not much of a saving over Libsyn, but at least it’s unlimited.

SoundCloud is €11 per month for unlimited hosting.

Buzzsprout offers 2 hours free hosting per month with 90 day retention, but the costs ramp up significantly from there — $12 per month for 3 hours of uploads per month, which is still not enough for our first upload (2× podcasts at 2 hours each — I’ll be stricter next time).

My issue is that I can get hosting from DigitalOcean for $5 per month (or maybe even use the server Ghost is already running on) to host the podcast using open source software like Podcast Generator.

Another option is Archive.org, which appears to offer free hosting with an RSS feature built in.

The trade-off to self-hosting or using Archive.org is that It won’t be possible to submit our podcast to Spotify. They have a sucky system where you have to submit through a syndicator/host like the ones mentioned above (Libsyn, PodBean, Buzzsprout).

I’m leaning towards the free hosting at Archive.org. A listing on Spotify will just have to wait.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Testing podcast automatic OneBox embeds

Here’s the first episode so long. I’m still figuring out how to create collections and get RSS feeds and stuff on Archive.org.

4 Likes

Regarding the hosting, you seem to have knowledge on all of it. But if you need us to check something out for you then just say.

Will give it a listen, kinda excited but also nervous to hear ourselves :grin:

I haven’t listened to the whole thing yet, but all I will say right now is, I am not an eloquent man…:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

See I beg to differ, that is just so you :stuck_out_tongue: Jy hoor jouself nettie baie nie :stuck_out_tongue:
Its reason 1995682734972395723 of why we luffs ya

1 Like

ok here goes. Listening now.

loving it guys

1 Like

I have been so busy that I am sad that I couldn’t have helped out. but if there is something to be done for the upcoming ones, let me know.

2 Likes

I see they using podbean.

and I also saw that soundcloud seems quite reasonable for hosting. Yes they both paid, but still.

Oh ps, I haven’t listened to the whole podcast, seeing that I was there, but I got the crux of how it sounds and it’s cool. Thanks mr. @SIGSTART for doing it for us.

2 Likes

I have to say I enjoyed it as well

1 Like

@SIGSTART, are you ready for some action?!?!?!

2 Likes

I am ready. But I’ve got some ideas this year based on what we learned from the last round.

Shorter podcasts, stricter timekeeping, fewer guests, and people have to test their microphones to make sure there isn’t a buzz on them (it adds a lot of post-production time otherwise).

You?

4 Likes

4 Likes

I am ready and able. I think those are some good suggestions and we just need to get something going.

3 Likes

NAG podcast did so well that it got picked up by IGN Africa, then died. Here’s our chance. #goals

1 Like

That’s probably because the same company that owns NAG used to operate IGN Africa :wink:

1 Like

Im in again

1 Like

I think we need to get the first recording done within January. And perhaps have more people assist with the editing.

3 Likes