Nvidia RTX 20xx cards have finally been announced

I am keen on getting the 2080 rtx as well. But seems would also require a psu upgrade so atm I am comtemplating whether its worth it or if I should skip a gen and stick with my 1080 gtx.

It appears that Battlefield V will be shipping with DTX/RTX support, as shown in their recently released System Requirements. You will need a specific windows update and DICE are recommending a RTX 2070 as well as some pretty beefy CPU’s for the feature.

RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR DXR

Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700

Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700

Memory: 16GB RAM

Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070

DirectX: DirectX Raytracing Compatible video card

Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Available Disk Space: 50GB

1 Like

Caveat emptor.

Seems to mostly only affect the founders edition cards. Haven’t seen any FE cards on sale here.

Mostly, but not exclusively. Remember, some partner cards use the FE board design without modifications.

1 Like

MOST do. Very few that actually makes their own PCB around the chip

Stop being mean everyone. My RTX card is fine and it’s going to stay fine. So there.

2 Likes

None of the 2080’s we got have any issues

2 Likes

Well I will see soon enough. Decided to upgrade to 2080ti, just waiting on titan ice to get stock of msi duke atm.

1 Like

So the first RTX enabled game is finally out in the wild, and… Well, see for yourself.

1 Like

After these updates drop, Nvidia says the graphics card should surpass 60 fps at 1440p resolution with the game’s DXR Raytraced Reflections setting set to Ultra. The $700 RTX 2080 will also hit 60 fps at 1440p with reflections set to Medium quality, as should the $500 RTX 2070 at 1080p resolution and reflections set to Medium quality. Assuming those claims hold true, that’d be a huge increase in ray tracing performance.

Here’s how Nvidia says the gains were achieved:

• “Made stability improvements while running the game with DXR Ray Tracing on.
  • Improved performance of several components of the ray tracing implementation.
  • Improved ray tracing performance against foliage and vegetation.
  • Using frame buffer data, where applicable, to increase overall ray tracing quality.
  • Removed inactive geometry from ray traced scenes.
  • Fixed medium quality setting not applying correctly.”
3 Likes

Awesome. So the performance issues have now been fixed for 100% of currently available RTX games. Still a pity about the insane prices.

It’s only about R500 more expensive to buy a 2080 than a 1080 ti.

Can you still find 1080ti’s?

Yes (10 characters)

2 Likes

Second hand yes. Retail is difficult as NV have stopped producing them.

The 2060 is apparently on par with the 1070ti performance wise. So at R7k or below, it’s not bad. 8k to 9k is overpriced imo.

Just a heads up, the newest Nvidia drivers enable ray tracing on previous generation GPUs (1060 and higher). The performance is obviously not great, but it’s still fun to see what it can look like and play around with it a bit.

There are also some demos to try out: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/atomic-heart-justice-reflections-nvidia-rtx-tech-demo-downloads/

And the Quake 2 port http://brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/

4 Likes

That might be something of an understatement. Even a Titan XP performs worse than the entry-level RTX 2060 as soon as you turn raytracing on.

2 Likes