Nvidia RTX 20xx cards have finally been announced

My biggest reason for wanting to upgrade is because I can’t run Elite Dangerous properly in VR. But then I haven’t played it in over a month. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you manage to save R20k - 25k? :smile:

Haha why yes I did. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Should be plenty enough for a VR capable rig even without buying one of these ridiculous cards.

2 Likes

I currently have quite a machine, but with a 980 ti and unfortunately I have to run Elite Dangerous on lower settings. Plus I’m getting my ultrawide tomorrow. So I don’t know. I’m currently keen on the 2080. The 1080 ti isn’t much cheaper in South Africa so it may be worthwhile.

Hang on, that sounds wrong. What resolution are yiu running at? Elite isn’t that resource intensive.

In VR it has to render it twice at a high resolution.

Ahh… OK, a 980 will probably struggle with that.

1 Like

I also Found GN’s video pretty informative. Steve laid it down much like Linus did.

3 Likes

Steve always says it like it is. I love his rants :wink:

2 Likes

After doing a lot of research I ended up purchasing a 2080. I got the Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming Pro OC from Wootware. The 1080 ti cards aren’t much cheaper and the 2080 is more future proof. Especially with the VirtualLink ports. I’m excited about that.

I will have a CPU bottleneck unfortunately but will take care of that in the future.

6 Likes

Cool. Let us know how it works out.

1 Like

I am keen on getting the 2080 rtx as well. But seems would also require a psu upgrade so atm I am comtemplating whether its worth it or if I should skip a gen and stick with my 1080 gtx.

It appears that Battlefield V will be shipping with DTX/RTX support, as shown in their recently released System Requirements. You will need a specific windows update and DICE are recommending a RTX 2070 as well as some pretty beefy CPU’s for the feature.

RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR DXR

Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700

Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700

Memory: 16GB RAM

Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070

DirectX: DirectX Raytracing Compatible video card

Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Available Disk Space: 50GB

1 Like

Caveat emptor.

Seems to mostly only affect the founders edition cards. Haven’t seen any FE cards on sale here.

Mostly, but not exclusively. Remember, some partner cards use the FE board design without modifications.

1 Like

MOST do. Very few that actually makes their own PCB around the chip

Stop being mean everyone. My RTX card is fine and it’s going to stay fine. So there.

2 Likes

None of the 2080’s we got have any issues

2 Likes