Official Space Thread

The HD images from the SpaceX Falcon Heavy Arabsat-6A Mission are magnificent, especially the launch pictures.

5 Likes

Yebo, they couldn’t use the Octagrabber because it wasn’t ready for the new configuration yet. And then the rough seas made the booster tilt and fall into the ocean.
Musk rates that the engines seems fine though. And I guess the grid fins will also be fine.
I don’t think they were going to reuse the center core for the next flight anyways. But would be great to analyse the state of the booster.

3 Likes

Literally my favorite picture of the launch.

3 Likes

Great images!

By the way, does anyone have any idea if the Apollo 11 documentary film will be shown here? It’s been on the cinema circuit since early March in the States.

IMDB shows the UK release date for it as 28 June 2019 only. Sincerely doubt we’ll get it here before then, if at all. May have to wait for a Bluray/DVD or History Channel special.

1 Like

Oh awesome, so there’s still a chance. I would love to watch that on a big screen.

1 Like

Yeah those images are amazing.

1 Like

Hubble took a pic of the Crab Nebula to mark the 29th anniversary of its 1990 deployment. The symmetry on such a huge scale is astonishing.

10 Likes

Awesome

100 years ago today…

4 Likes
4 Likes

Still many years away, but wow! This makes me happy to see

2 Likes

Nice. Sounds interesting.

Titan might truly be the cradle for some kind of life—and whether life has emerged or not, Titan’s hydrocarbon rivers and lakes, and its hydrocarbon snow, makes it one of the most fantasylike landscapes in our solar system.

on Titan, where temperatures average a frigid 94 K, the “rocks” are made of water ice and the seas are filled with ethane and methane, hydrocarbons that are gases on Earth.

94K is -179,15 celcius!

This is what the Huygens Probe saw when it was dropped into Titan’s atmosphere:

2 Likes

50 years ago today… Thanks, Neil, Buzz and Michael (not forgetting the thousands of people that made Apollo a reality) for the One Small Step that first shifted our boundaries beyond this blue marble.

5 Likes

CLICK IT :smiley:

Original 291 Meg file here.
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1lGDV6jOHc0v5UdkxcqYShqhKBz_UijPl&export=download

6 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve seen this movie, I know how it ends. 10 years later some astronaut gets stranded on Mars and they get the bright idea of using this helicopter to somehow get him back.

6 Likes

awesome!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Amateur astronomers discover a “first of its kind” teardrop shaped star 1500LY away.

2 Likes