Official SpaceX Thread

So this will be the official SpaceX thread for upcoming launches, news, announcements, etc.

I love SpaceX and have been following them for about 2-3 years. I remember the successful launches with the failed landings, and I also vividly remember the first landing which they stuck; it was amazing to watch!

For those of you who also love SpaceX (and maybe some new Mewbs), I will keep the OP updated with upcoming launches.

Next Launch

Name: Hispasat 30W-6
Date & Time: NET Feb (Nearest Estimated Time)
Where: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

This is launch is with a brand new Block 4 first stage and landing margins will be tight, as the satellite weighs a tad over 6 tons, so the landing might not be successful; they are going to use titanium grid fins on the booster to cope with the higher speed and temperature.

They will once again attempt to recover the fairings from the second stage, perhaps this time even landing them in the net.

The launch has been delayed due additional testing on the fairing pressurization system, no new fixed date and time available yet.

The launch can be streamed here (stream goes live ~30mins before the launch):
No stream bookmark available yet.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update @Blazzok. I’m really into SpaceX myself and love watching their live streams

One thing that is weird though, Elon Musk said that he wants a new space race and want other companies to join him. Well, the Indians would like to see his offer and raise him this:

Ignore the really scientific inaccurate infographic, the fact remains that the Indians wants to send a lander onto the moon this year for less than what the movie Intersteller cost.

2 Likes

The launch is still on for 16:17 today and that is the time I leave work, so I won’t be able to catch the live stream. I want to see if they are able to recover the fairings on this one.

1 Like

And now its tomorrow:

Yep, I also got the notification. So the launch will be attempted at the same time tomorrow. OP updated

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgHKDNAplx/

“elonmusk: Going to try to catch the giant fairing (nosecone) of Falcon 9 as it falls back from space at about eight times the speed of sound. It has onboard thrusters and a guidance system to bring it through the atmosphere intact, then releases a parafoil and our ship, named Mr. Steven, with basically a giant catcher’s mitt welded on, tries to catch it.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgHKDNAplx/

2 Likes

I do hope they will take video of the attempt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgRX-lgIt6/

1 Like

I approve of this Thread. Also been a SpaceX fan since all the attempted landings on the drone ship. Their progress and the things they achieve is down right awesome. Makes me excited everytime they do a launch.
That Falcon Heavy launch dou… :grinning::open_mouth:

1 Like

https://wildspark.me/?asset=HJm_ua3vz

i found that video interesting. I always thought it was more controlled.

Not Space X Related but Elon Receiving his Mclaren F1 back in 1999

2 Likes

OP updated for the Hispasat 30W-6 launch. Should be an interesting one to watch.

The launch was planned for tomorrow, 1 March 2018 at 07:34 (local time) (which is still the latest date & time), however there is a chance it won’t happen as scheduled due to an Atlas V rocket which is launching from the same complex tomorrow.

Some additional interesting information. This will be heaviest GTO payload launch and 1st stage booster recovery attempt by about 500kg. There are some theories as to how they plan on achieving the recovery, which I’ll put below. Guess we will have to wait and see.

1. Staging @ < 9000 km/hr, and transfer orbit short of GTO - Explanation - regular block 4. Customer accepted less than full GTO, possibly in return for recoverable discount
  2. Staging @ < 9000 km/hr, and transfer orbit GTO or greater - Explanation - second stage must have been upgraded.
  3. Staging @ > 9000 km/r, entry burn is about 20 seconds - Explanation - must be a block 4.5 booster. 4.0 could not get to this speed with 20 seconds of entry burn fuel left
  4. Staging @ > 9000 km/hr, entry burn is about 10 seconds -
    Explanation - Block 4, titanium fins allow more slowing by drag and less by engine
4 Likes

The Hispasat launch is at 07:33,so in about 6 minutes, for those who can and want to watch.

Live webcast is here:

Unfortunately I’m a bit busy and can’t update the OP right now.

1 Like

SpaceX launching Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite tonight…

3 Likes

Did you notice the landing sequence? Looks like what they have been testing the last few months.

2 Likes

The rocket landings are what impress me most.

1 Like

Never even heard of the material they are casting.

1 Like

Inconel® is a material that is specifically optimized for some of the toughest use conditions to be found in manufacturing. Even compared to stainless steel, Inconel® has an incredibly high tolerance for extreme heat, and doesn’t lose as much tensile strength at 2,000°F as most varieties of steel.

1 Like

Kind of a shift from NASA