Petrolheads / Electroheads / Motorheads

From the same company that forced you drop the engine to change the oil filter?

The company the put the indicator on the dash, as a toggle button that doesn’t cancel?

The same folks that put the radio under the handbrake so that all of the dirt goes into the tape deck?

The lot that decided that having a different wheelbase on the left than to the right of the car is a-okay?

Sarcastically noooooooo!

My hand me down Renault 9 student car still haunts me!

2 Likes

The problem is the same these car manufacturers have now that they are doing electric vehicles, they suck as software companies.

Look at some of the most widely reported issues almost all traditional car manufacturer have in their newest cars, it’s mostly that their software sucks. Once they start investing in some proper software development these types of user complaints will also dissipate.

2 Likes

This sounds like that Grand Tour episode where they grilled French cars…

3 Likes

OMG - that takes me back. My first “get yourself to work” car was a hand me down Renault 9. I was driving it to work night shifts in the Joburg CBD at the height of sanctions in the late 80s and early 90s. There were no Renault dealerships trading, and you couldn’t get spares for them either.

I had to use a screwdriver to short the starter motor every time to get it going. The passenger door couldn’t be opened from the outside and one of the rear door windows was jammed about 3cm open.

I loved that car. :smiley:

3 Likes

The thing is, that episode had almost no exaggeration. The 1970’s and 80’s Renault were that bonkers. All through that episode I was Leonardo-DiCaprio-meming at the television as I recognised things I had personally experienced.

I blocked out the screwdrivers jump starting that @GregRedd described, as well as the carburettor clogging up on steeper uphills, like the two that laid between my parents house and my daily commute to Tuks.

Or the fact that if you floored it, it would randomly stay floored with the throttle stuck open as wide as a very dirty joke. I had to use a different screwdriver to the starter screwdriver to unstick it :smiley:

Excellent first car that tought me so much about troubleshooting car troubles. Wouldn’t wish it on a Zuma.

@GregRedd: My mum bought the car new end 85/beginning 86. She’s unclear as to exactly when, blaming being heavily pregnant with yours truly. Brother and I were brought up in that car, so by the time I inhereted her in matric, she was thoroughly tired, made up of more scrap yard and pirate parts than original.

2 Likes

Heavy breathing ensues…

When AC/ACC? When?!

4 Likes

Next year only…

3 Likes
3 Likes

Clearly filmed a little while ago…

“Ferrari can’t put a foot wrong at the moment… and it’s back to it’s winning ways in F1” :laughing:

4 Likes

Nico Rosberg takes delivery of his Rimac Nevera #1 of 150.

2 Likes

He is more a youtuber than anything else these days.

3 Likes

r/formuladank’s got you covered…

2 Likes

Not just BMW, but GM in the US too. Is this the automotive “monetization of cosmetics” equavilent? And how soon before it spreads to the others?

If you don’t want to pay for in-car subscriptions every month, no problem: Just pay it all upfront. That’s the line from General Motors today after news spread that it’s making a three-year, $1,500 OnStar connected services subscription a mandatory “option” for new Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Escalade models.

The subscription, which enables things like using your phone as a key fob, data-enabled navigation, audio streaming, and Amazon’s Alexa virtual assistant, is still optional on other GM vehicles, with the Premium package running $49.99 a month. But don’t be surprised if this new setup spreads across the automaker’s full portfolio.

3 Likes

microtransactions in cars :pensive: next it will be your microwave, you have to subscribe in order to use the defrost feature :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

drools

2 Likes
2 Likes

Makes me wonder what @Flex would think, this thing is a beaut.

2 Likes

What an absolute beaut!

This is still one of my favourite MV’s

4 Likes

I love car stories like this:

4 Likes