Phone upgrade advice

Any thoughts on the Huawei P40 lite?

2 Likes

I’ve been getting to use the Huawei P40 Lite 5G for work.

Based on the tests we’ve done at MyBroadband, Huawei devices tend to have the better 5G radios than LG. Samsung has comparable 5G radios, but I don’t think Samsung has a 5G device in the same price range as the P40 Lite.

Big drawback on Huawei right now is lack of Google Mobile Services. Huawei has tried to fix this with “Huawei Mobile Services”, but not everything works, especially stuff that uses the GPS and such.

Google Play is a no-go, so you’ll have to make sure that all the apps you need can run on a Huawei phone without Google’s services layer for Android.

So it depends on how you use your phone. How deeply invested are you in the Google ecosystem? Do you mind using the YouTube mobile site rather than the app (this is a deal-breaker for me, because with YouTube Premium I’ve started using the ability to play videos while my screen is locked at lot).

2 Likes

I’m quite invested in the Google ecosystem so the lack of Google Mobile Services did put me off getting a Huawei phone, despite them offering some great specs. Decided to go with another Chinese brand and got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S. The specs you get for the price can’t be beat. I’m pretty happy with the phone - if only I’d waited a week or two to get one as Takealot has quite a decent discount on them at the moment.

2 Likes

Now thats my issue, i use google often, any similar alternatives? my main thing is it needs to be waterproof and have a decent camera, also a decent system (currently have the lg g7 thinq)

2 Likes

Google search still works and I think you can download Chrome and it works just fine. But if I recall correctly you have to use Gmail through a browser. I’m not sure if their built-in e-mail client works nicely with Gmail.

1 Like

I use google services for a lot of things though so its a no go for me :sweat_smile: which sucks cuz i really liked it

2 Likes

Yeah hopefully this fight between the U.S. and China gets smoothed over. Until it does, Huawei devices have been severely nerfed.

2 Likes

Any other recommendations

2 Likes

In that same price class? Nokia or Xiaomi. I’d probably look at Nokia myself because of the way they handle Android security upgrades.

Buuuut I suspect you’re not getting nearly the same amount of features on a Nokia for the same price as the Huawei P40 Lite. Decent but not great camera, OK modem chipset…

That’s why people keep buying Huawei. It’s just so damn cheap!

1 Like

yeah thats the crappy part…

2 Likes

So anyone have thoughts on the Samsung note 10 lite?
There is a package with this and a Samsung tab A for less than what im paying now… so contemplating it

1 Like

Just looking at it and comparing it to my LG, I would go for the Samsung. seems like a good phone

i have the Samsung Note10 and although its slightly different to the note 10 light iwould advocate for getting it.

The camera on the Note is just amazing, and also all the extra features that the stylus brings with it. The battery life is ok-ish when on mobile data. on Wifi it lasts a lot longer as do most phones. I see the lite has a slightly better battery life than the plain old note10.

Also just using word and excel on the phone is awesome and taking notes etc with the stylus on the go is great.

3 Likes

Okay cool thanks so much guys

1 Like