Project Cars 3

Project Cars 3’s new trailer dropped. From what I hear it will be closer to Gran Turismo than to rFactor when it comes to gameplay.

Seems like customisation and all varied types of vehicles will be included when it comes out in “Summer 2020”.

4 Likes

Looks like they are going NFS/Crew with it

I’m thinking more of a Forza style simcade racer.

The website mentions an “unrivaled controller experience” and “convincing & fun handling”.

2 Likes

The big attraction to me for the original Project CARS release was twofold: the fact that it was being crowd sourced and developed by a bunch of car loving indie developers; and the huge variety of cars and disciplines all crammed into one game that had pretty solid and realistic driving physics.

The reason the ‘cars’ bit of Project CARS is capitalised relates back to the original game where it was an acronym for Community Assisted Racing Simulator. It had 74 drivable cars, over 30 unique locations with at least 110 different courses, of which 23 are real. PC2 expandied that to 189 cars, 140 track layouts and 60 different locations.

I agree that this looks a little more Forza-esque than ever. Not that that’s a bad thing, if they keep things more sim than arcade. Just that I think Forza Motorsport 8 (or whatever it ends up being called) is probably going to surface pretty soon too. And that’s going to be some stiff competition for SMS/Codemasters. Especially if they haven’t cracked cross-platform pay for PC3. FM8 will definitely again be a Xbox/Win10 Play Anywhere title, and with it’s launch probably being used to pre-hype the Series X console, the Xbox/Microsoft marketing machine will be sure to dominate the racing/driving noise space for the second half of the year.

Still, I’ll definitely consider PC3 if the new SMS/Codemasters marriage works to our benefit and we get some good regional pricing for it on the Steam Store. That said, don’t see any sign of Codemasters branding on the video, so maybe not.

Oh, and according to Calendarpedia - who knew that was even a thing? - Summer 2020 starts on Saturday, June 20, 2020 (in 16 days) and ends on Tuesday, September 22nd 2020 (in 110 days). So it could still be a good while until we see on the store shelves.

3 Likes

Ian Bell CEO SMS, Executive Director Codemasters.@bell_sms
Project CRS 3 is a game changer. All of the sim you could want with all of the fun you could want. Handling is massively improved, input on pads is transformed and FFB is amazing. The career mode is massively involved. I hope you all enjoy. We’re proud here.

And definitely more gamification and arcade elements than in either of the previous versions:

1 Like
2 Likes

Okay, yeah that’s definitely more Need For Speed/Forza Horizon/Grid than Forza Motorsport or Assetto. Or either of the previous PCars versions for that matter.

The Interlagos circuit looks good though. Perhaps the multiplayer elements drop some of the arcadish elements. And if they do a dedicated server thing again for private leagues, it could still be worth the effort.

Gives me strong GRID vibes, which is nice for me, I suck at simulator racing games, and depending on how the customization ends up being, I might take a look at this game.

1 Like

Oh gosh, that gameplay trailer almost put me off the game. The pumping music soundtrack and the camera angle are both not want I want in my racing games. Sure, the market is there, just not for me.

Did you notice the AI drivers’ names? One is called Hugh Jenjin :joy:

I wonder how they planned this type of game? Maybe with Automobilista 2, which uses the same engine, is the “sim” game and this the accessible game? I was really hoping Codies acquired SMS to bring a more simulation game to their stable, rather than another arcady racer.

Of course I could be wrong and the handling is more sim than arcade and I sound like a tjop :rofl:

1 Like

also, do spoilers fall off that easily normally? he barely tapped them and they fell off.

1 Like

Nah sorry, this gives me a feeling I had when I saw gameplay for the new Grid, and that didn’t look lekke at all. I’d rather go full arcade with NFS. Or stick to Forza Horizon if I want the midway. But hey, maybe something further down the line changes my mind.

1 Like

My time is precious. I can’t waste it on a game that looks like it’s aimed at ADHD influencers with more followers than brains.

4 Likes

Haha @aldyr. I’ve never played a Project Cars 3 game but this looks like it can be fun. However, same problem as you. The reason why I’ve never played a Project Cars game is because of time.

I have never been a fan of project cars, the menu always suck and the handling model feel like NFS SH!T err i mean shift :laughing: since Pcars is just an evolution of that shitty shift 2 game engine.

At first I liked the look of the gameplay, but as I watched I started feeling like I was getting annoyed with things, especially that tyre squeel sound effect. It sounds so stock recording. Really got to me.

2 Likes

yeah, looks like it’s gone from a GT racing focus to more of an arcade-sim racing nature. I get the sense of a Driveclub esque game, which isn’t a bad thing, just not what I’ve come to expect from a Project Cars title.

3 Likes

The way the car was twitching around and how hard the braking was made me think they were playing the game on keyboard.

This could snatch away the NFS crowd though.

3 Likes

Chase cam, spiky (gamepad) inputs, the UI, the VO, the music… ya this ain’t it bois.
The person playing this has their baseball cap on backwards too no doubt.

Each to their own, there are people out there who will love this game, it’s just by no means a sim. I don’t even know why the sim vs arcade argument is being made to begin with, it’s super obvious.

3 Likes

And why do the cars wobble like that around the corners? It feels like they just need to add nos into the game to make it a full NFS game.

Granted, a good looking NFS isn’t a bad thing, but it’s not Project Cars

2 Likes

wow so disappointed

2 Likes