Racing Wheel Recommendations

That’s a big no. Wow at that price it’s better to just get the Thrustmaster, as it will be a better wheel. That is pretty much the same as your G920. Like almost entirely.

3 Likes

Yup. Without experiencing the new “continual force feedback” I’m sure I won’t miss it. Besides, I’m only getting my toes wet with sim racing when my wheel arrives, which is hopefully by the end of the week.

2 Likes

You’ll dip your toes and find that the water is rather inviting, so you lower yourself in. Mmm… nice.
You’ll think, maybe I’ll swim around for a while before getting out.
Might as well practice a few strokes while you’re here, why not.
Before you’ve realised what’s happened, you’ve forgotten how to walk on land.

5 Likes

So guess what arrived today? And guess who won’t sleep at all tonight?

8 Likes

Yeehaw! Welcome to the new obsession! Hope you have many happy miles!

Thanks! My Thrustmaster Warthog flight stick is also in transit, so I’ve been spending lots of hours investigating throttle add-ons as well. Looks like I’m entering peripheral nirvana quite soon…

1 Like

So which racing game you trying out first?

1 Like

I don’t have many sims yet… But I do have F1 2018 installed. So that’s probably going to be first. I think I might still have GRID 2019 installed as well, so might try that out as well. But I’ll see, maybe I’ll spend some Steam wallet funds on a new racing game tonight. :grin:

1 Like

Oh awesome! If you’ve got Game Pass, F1 2019 is there available, as well as Dirt Rally 2.0. Both amazing games to play and super fun ways of testing out the wheel without being overly difficult to get into.

I’m reserving my renewal to Game Pass for when I have my flight stick (and throttle) setup for FS2020. That will probably be next month though… For now I have F1 2018 and Dirt Rally 1.0. Both should tide me over for now. Plus some arcade racers like Dirt 4 and Grid 2019.

My body is ready…

…but apparently uploads not. Stupid rotated pic.

5 Likes

Ok, so first feedback from a first-time wheel user:

Wow. I’ve never been as stressed in a game as I was during the first few laps of F1 2018. I sat leaning forward in order to feel like I was in control, which I clearly wasn’t. I kept misjudging breaking and struggled to retain control of the wheel. I could maintain a decent lap time with the keyboard and the game felt relaxing to play. But with the wheel and pedals? Completely different story. It honestly is some of the most fun I’ve ever had gaming.

I used all default settings and the force feedback felt like it was going to rip my arms apart. The stiffness of the wheel also feels like an intense workout. I toyed with some settings later on, but it still feels a bit overwhelming. I’ll continue to play with the settings until I’m comfortable.

The wheel instantly ignited the desire for more racing games. Unfortunately nothing decent is on sale on Steam currently, but I found Fanatical is having a summer sale and Project Cars 2 is on sale for a cool $9. So I’m gonna grab that now. Grid 2019 is downloading as we speak.

7 Likes

It takes a while to get your racing level up to where it was with controller/keyboard but once you get used to it there’s no better way to race.

I’m sure @DieGrootHammer and @GregRedd will be able to give you some settings based on what they use for the games. FFB is a personal preference thing but it’s nice to have a baseline. Also don’t be afraid to turn down the intensity - many sim drivers prefer a lighter wheel.

One of the most important settings to get right for each game is the wheel rotation. You’ll want 900° for most games but for rallying it’s better to drop that to about 540° and with F1 if you want to replicate the same rotation as a real F1 car you’ll need to set it to 360°. This helped me a lot in getting the responsiveness right in the various vehicles.

4 Likes

This is very good advice. Getting used to the wheel takes time. It is different than driving your normal car, and you need to give your brain some time to get used to the new information coming from the force feedback. Once you get used to that, you’ll find that you can feel the car and traction through the wheel, and start relying on it more and more.

For settings I normally change the different FFB and wheel rotation settings within the individual games I play. I leave the G-Hub on default. I’ll share some settings from F1 that I use a bit later.

Another big thing to get used to is the brake pedal. On the Logitech, there is a stopper rubber at the end of the brake pedal that simulated load on the brake. Use it for threshold braking and trail braking. Again it takes some getting used to, especially to find the maximum point and ensure your foot can get to that max reliably every time. Took me at least a year to get used to the brake pedal and reliably use it. Play around with the settings of the pedal in various games, where you brake as hard as you can and ensure the brake pedal max is set to about 5% higher than that point. Will help a lot in not locking up the brakes.

1 Like

Dirt rally series replicates the cars steering degrees. So you can leave it at 900°, and based on the car, it’ll adjust based on the car. It’s the softlock setting. All the modern cars ie. 2000cc, R2, R5, GT have around about 1.5 turns lock to lock = 540° 'ish

For the older cars, you kill the car character if you mess with the steering lock. Some would call it a character flaw though

3 Likes

Did not know this. I just really struggled to get the car to turn around the hairpins when I had the rotation set higher - in the first Dirt Rally.

2 Likes

Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition on sale at IndieGala at the moment for $9.97 - cheap as chips! (Offer ends in 1 day 7 hours odd…)

https://www.indiegala.com/store/game/assetto-corsa-ultimate-edition/6998

Also…

3 Likes

Isn’t the new one a better game? Shouldn’t I just wait for a deal on it than dropping for the previous one?

3 Likes

So with Assetto Corsa you’ll get a very great racing game that’s true to life, and has a wealth of modding options to add any track and car you would need to race.

ACC (the new one) only focuses on GT3 and GT4 cars, with only a limited list of tracks. Albeit a great list of tracks. The driving mechanics are similar as its made by the same developer, but ACC has much better graphics and sound. Oh the sound is astonishing.

ACC is also more multiplayer orientated with AC giving more offline content.

So with that pick the version that appeals more to you.

4 Likes

AC is the garry’s mod of the sim world.

4 Likes