Rain 5G. Anyone else take the plunge?

I’ve been waiting for decent broadband in our area forever and it doesn’t seem like we’ll be getting fibre until at least the end of next year, so I decided to take the plunge and order Rain’s very expensive router with a 5G Sim. I’m looking forward to trying it out tonight and see how it performs.

Anyone else have any experience with it?

2 Likes

Unfortunately we don’t have Rain 5G in our area otherwise I may have tried it. Not very happy with our Vodacom fibre. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks, I was quite surprised to see coverage in our area. Usually we don’t have anything, we never even got VDSL and I think we only got LTE fairly recently.

2 Likes

I looked at them once for 4G. Ended up with an MTN sim using Afrihost.

I just checked coverage around my area and it does not have 5G.

1 Like
6 Likes

Wow nice!

2 Likes

Nice download speed, upload speed is terrible compared to fibre thought.

No coverage here for 5g so no real choice but I am sticking to my fibre.

Nice alternative for those with no fibre thought

1 Like

Latency seems a bit high though… That’s always the problem with wireless connections. At Web Summit they (Huawei and Verizon) promised 1ms latency when 5G is rolled out. Let’s see if they can stick to those promises.

1 Like

I get curious when I see these kinds of figures being quoted. Latency is measured between two points, ja? So 1ms from where to where?

1 Like

Device to tower probably…

2 Likes

That’s well and good, but of little practical value as a selling point, since my data still needs to get from the tower to where it’s going.

2 Likes

Exactly. All it means to me is that it isn’t the bottleneck.

I am just taking an educated guess here though. They did the same thing here with LTE.

3 Likes

Resurrects topic

I see Rain 5G is now available in my area. And since I’ve had endless issues with Vodacom fibre I have now ordered my router. I really hope it works well. I don’t know why it’s so difficult to have proper internet.

Had so many problems with so many different internet providers over the last 10 years. I just want something decent.

@MetalSoup how’s your connection these days?

3 Likes

When it works it’s amazing. Unfortunately it quite often doesn’t work. Hopefully you have better luck. It’s awesome when you can download a 100gb game in a few minutes.

5 Likes

Damn, that’s disappointing that often it doesn’t work. Have the same problem with Vodascum. But the Vodascum one is more expensive so there is that.

Thanks @MetalSoup

3 Likes

I saw an article that said they would only allow youtube streaming at 480p.

1 Like

Do you have a link? That makes absolutely no sense.

I never actually read the article, sorry. I just remembered the headline.

1 Like

If i did not have a good fiber line i would go for it

What’s the difference in pricing between the Standard and Premium packages?

I get the need for marketing hyperbole and general BS, but in current South African economy terms, is R699 truly an “affordable” internet service, even if it is unlimited?

They really need a “Lite” package in there. Drop the speed to 10Mbps, keep the silly 480p thing and flog it as their “affordable” package at R299. Keep Standard as it is price wise, but up the speed to 50Mbps and give them 720p video streaming, and Leave the Premium at whatever price it is.