Rain 5G. Anyone else take the plunge?

That’s just for the lower cost package.

2 Likes

I only get about 100 Mbps but that’s good enough for me!

Phoned Vodascum and cancelled.

2 Likes

However, now a couple of days in I’m not that happy. The connection keeps dropping. Today especially was pretty bad. And I emailed them about it on Sunday and still haven’t received a reply.

So this morning I ordered Vumatel fibre. Will have to see if the complex will let me install it. Will see how things go.

2 Likes

I am holding thumbs!

2 Likes

Otherwise you’ll have to move.

3 Likes

It looks like I may have to move because it’s impossible to get proper internet.

Afrihost replied by saying that Vumatel isn’t yet active in my area which is strange since it’s been there for a very long time now.

I just don’t know anymore. Feel sommer depressed.

2 Likes

Had a similar problem. Did you order via the Vumatel site or Afrihost site? I used Vumatel directly and then you choose the ISP. I think. This was a while ago…

1 Like

I ordered via Afrihost. I contacted Afrihost though and they actually showed me a screenshot of what it shows at Vumatel. So it’s pretty much confirmed.

Rain 5G impressed me though. They gave me a call and will send a technician to my house on Monday. Hopefully they can sort out my problems.

All this because Vodacom Fibre is so bad. Sigh.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear of your broadband woes, @Solitude.

Friend of mine also lives within metres of fibre, but no-one can convince an FNO to hook him up.

He’s been switching between Rain and Telkom to get Internet, and they just struggle to get something reliable to even play stuff that isn’t particularly latency-sensitive, like Heroes of the Storm.

2 Likes

Sorry man, was hoping if you go Vumatel directly it could work

2 Likes

I’m much happier with Rain now. A technician came out and had a look. We didn’t move the router but the connection has been really stable so far. I’m getting between 60 and 120 Mbps.

As long as the disconnections stay away. I look forward to trying it in F1 2019 this Thursday and seeing how that goes.

I’m happy to stay with Rain just because they actually bothered to send someone. I could never do that with Vodacom Fibre.

5 Likes

My router is on the roof now and wow, it’s amazing. I really hope that fixes all my internet problems. Because even after my previous post I couldn’t race online because the connection was just too bad.

I now get around 300 Mbps. Will keep an eye on it though.

6 Likes

Rain 5G seems very dependent on your specific situation. Alot of work colleagues have it, some it’s very bad, others it’s very good. Little consistency. Do you live in a hilly area, or is it relatively flat where you are?

2 Likes

Mine has been ridiculously unstable over the last couple of months. One of their technicians came out to look today and he’s going to “escalate” to head office or whatever so they may install an outdoor unit sometime this week. In the meantime I still have to struggle.

Unfortunately 5G is my only real option at the moment. The only alternative is wireless internet which is like 5mb/s on a good day. It’s very unlikely that my area will ever get fibre and ADSL has always been terrible here.

2 Likes

I am just happy you will be back in the F1 league! :grin:

2 Likes

I’m in a hilly area. But the signal is vastly different if I just move the router a couple of cm.

I’m surprised. They wanted to me to install the router on the roof and they wouldn’t do it. So I had to make use of a different company.

Haha me too.

1 Like

Still no luck here. Our internet is practically unusable at least 80% off the time. Apparently the technician will be back on Saturday.

In the meantime I thought this was pretty ironic:

3 Likes

I had the most amazing internet for a week or so. But lately my router sees a good 5G signal but it just can’t seem to connect to it. Keeps dropping.

There’s multiple threads about it at MyBroadband:

It’s happening to a lot of us.

So frustrating. I can’t understand how it can be so difficult to get proper internet in 2020.

1 Like

It’s a crap-shoot at this point. Rain’s 5G is great when it works, but 50% of the time it’s just disappointment and frustration, the vortex of groundhog day support interactions doesn’t help… At all.

3 Likes

Yeah. I think cancelling is the way forward. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes