Rain 5G. Anyone else take the plunge?

I really wish that was an option for me right now.

2 Likes

I also don’t have other options.

However since yesterday it has been great again. But the week before that I could barely get a connection. So who knows what the future brings.

1 Like

I contacted Rain about the problems on its network on Friday morning and haven’t heard anything back. Headed into the office today (where we have Rain 5G coverage) to do some testing for a separate article, and lo! the Rain network was dead when I got here.

Seems to be working now, but it was dead as a doornail, then I got this result:

Shortly followed by this:

Sorry about your troubles, Rain folks. It really looks like there’s a lot of instability on the network at the moment.

Update: Second Speedtest results to just confirm the baseline I’m working from:

2 Likes

I got the outdoor unit and as @Solitude suggested they won’t install it for you, I mounted it to the rain spout for now till we can get a better way to place it. It’s way better now, but I still don’t think it’s ideal. At least it’s working mostly now where before it was mostly dead, especially this last week. We’ll see how it goes this week I guess.

Upload speed is significantly better than the old unit, it never got over 10Mbps and was usually at about 4.

2 Likes

Those are great speeds! I’d be happy with that. The last couple of days my connection stayed up though which is amazing. If it can stay up I would be so happy.

2 Likes

What’s killing me about this mess. Is the burden of action expected in the interactions with their support.

Submit a support ticket

Them:

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. Your reference number is (…). A rain agent will get back to you as soon as possible.

Them a couple of days later:

Thanks again for contacting rain Support & apologies for any delays in getting back to you.
We’ve actioned a high number of inquiries over the past few days. I just wanted to check if your inquiry has now been resolved to your satisfaction. If this isn’t the case, please reply to this email & we will get one of our agents on this as soon as possible.
Once again please accept our apologies & thank you for your support and understanding.

Wait. What??? I submitted the ticket so I could be helped to resolve the issue, now you’re asking me if it’s been resolved without at least asking some more relevant discovery questions? What? By what magic would it have been resolved? Did I become a network technician overnight?!

After some back and forth over a couple of days because email is kind of a bad support medium IMO

Them:

Hi, thanks for reaching out! We are currently improving our support process as rain and will no longer be responding to emails to this address.

Woah!!! Hold up! We haven’t resolved the issue! Is the ticket closed?! Vader Nooooooooo for effect

Submit a ticket with reference to the old ticket

Them: Starts interaction as if we’ve cleared cache clearly indicating they don’t actually read the ticket for context

Cycle continues and with

Them:

Thank you for the feedback, I will escalate this to the technical team for investigations

Me:

Actual heart palpitations

No answers. No resolution.

I’m not even going to address their twitter support cycle because it’s just… sigh. I’m done actually, I’m literally scoping out what folks who’ve canceled experienced in the cancellation process.

Imagine being in a bizarro universe where you feel like your days with Telkom ADSL were much better at their worst.

2 Likes

I’m sad to say that my 5G is down again.

2 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I will burn their towers down

2 Likes

It connected again! That’s miles better than last week where it will go down and then not connect again.

1 Like

Maybe it’s time to give up on them. They don’t seem capable or responsive.

Reminds me of corporate email replies, “Noted”, but vokol was noted.

3 Likes

So I may as well give a summary of how the twitter support cycle:

Tweet them > They ask you to DM > You DM them > You tell them you’ve DM’d > They tell you they’ll look into it and get back to you > They don’t > You check in later on why they haven’t gotten back to you > They apologize, say they’ll sort it out, their team is working tirelessly to sort out issues. > Nothing.

Rinse. Repeat. No deviation whatsoever to the script. None. Groundhog Day.

2 Likes

Sheesh and this after they stopped their live support chat as well. Soon we’ll have to send them formal letters before we can get to the runaround bit.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve been this angry with an ISP, and I was with Telkom back in the day… Honestly wondering if there’s a legal route beyond ICASA (consumer protection, maybe), because, this is ridiculous.

There’s a guy at MyBroadband who asked the same.

For me the worst was Telkom and then Vodacom Fibre.

You can try getting support from the rain_mobile user at MyBroadband. It worked for me.

1 Like
3 Likes

Well claiming it’s fixed is an absolute lie, but at least now I know I’m not the only one struggling in my area, as my suburb is mentioned in the article.

2 Likes

Last night it wasn’t working for me at all.

This morning though I’m getting by far the best speeds I ever did!

I hope they fixed their problems.

3 Likes

I got excited for nothing. Now it’s barely working again.

3 Likes

Uhmmmm… This is what I’m experiencing… For now. I don’t know what to think. But I’ll wait before celebrating.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing! I hope it stays that way.

2 Likes