Rain 5G. Anyone else take the plunge?

It’s weird that it’s testing against the Durban server.

Did your connection come back to life?

Yes, thank you. It only went down for about 5 minutes. It happened a couple of times during the day but it’s a lot better than what it used to be.

1 Like

Today it was working great until about 16:00 when it just died completely. No signal, nothing, and there is nothing I can do to fix it. I’m at my wit’s end now. I seriously don’t know what I can do anymore.

2 Likes

Is your internet up again?

1 Like

Yeah, not quite as fast as it was yesterday but at least I can work again. It seems to be getting better. I doubt it will stay on all day though, and I’m willing to bet it will be off over the weekend.

2 Likes

It died again literally right after I posted this. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

One moment it’s dead, the next minute:

3 Likes

So on Saturday morning it was still dead so I decided to move the CPE around to see if we can get a better signal. Tied the thing the one of those old aluminium swimming pool net/brush poles and moved it around all over the front yard. It was so inconsistent everywhere that we still have no idea where the best spot for it is but at least it was working most of the time so I just strapped the whole pole with the thing on it to one of the gutters. It’s been behaving fairly decently since then, but we’ll see how it goes during this week.

Funny enough sometimes the thing gets the same speeds while lying on its face on the ground as when holding it as high as the roof, so I’m not entirely convinced the position makes as much of a difference as some people are claiming.

3 Likes

I did some testing two weeks ago and Rain 5G seems to be incredibly sensitive to positioning. In one part of the office I was getting 200–400Mbps, and less than 20m away it was unusable. Only drywall between position 1 and position 2.

Despite the small distance between the two spots, the CPE appeared to connect to two different towers (different cell IDs) and got worse signal strength/quality in the spot where it was unusable.

On a related note: I see MyBroadband has published a new set of test results after Rain made some configuration changes to its network.

@Solitude, @MetalSoup, and @Saint_Dee: Please let me know if stuff isn’t better for you, even after moving your router around.

3 Likes

Mine has been great since the last article. On my side if I move the router 1cm it makes a huge difference.

2 Likes

It has been pretty lousy since shortly after my previous post.

2 Likes

Tried moving it around again and just get no 5G signal anywhere, or when I do it goes away after a few seconds.

And as is typical of their support now, they only today replied to a ticket I logged 2 weeks ago, just wanting to know if my issues magically disappeared by themselves.

3 Likes

It’s because of the big network change they did. They are hoping it fixed everything.

1 Like

Maybe, but I’ve received that message before. They take at least a week to reply to a ticket and it’s exactly the same message:

I just wanted to check if your inquiry has now been resolved to your satisfaction. If this isn’t the case, please reply to this email & I will gladly assist you.

3 Likes

Oh, good grief. It’s no wonder people are polishing their pitchforks.

3 Likes

How’s your 5G these days @MetalSoup? I’ve been really lucky. Since those issues that I complained about a while back, the connection has been really good.

1 Like

It has been pretty good the last couple of weeks. Can’t complain at the moment.

3 Likes

Same here. I even eventually got a call from them 2 weeks back. Consistent speeds are good again, barring the occasional minor drop, which no ISP is safe from. Sooooo… happiness???

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that. After a while where it was really bad, ours have been really good. Since that MyBroadband article I haven’t had any problems.

3 Likes

Not too shabby at all. I feel like if we ever got fibre now it would be a downgrade.

3 Likes