Retro gaming

As a big fan of retro gaming I need a place to talk about retro gaming :smiley:

I play more retro than anything else for 3 reasons

1. I missed out on so many games and consoles for location and budget reasons.
  2. It’s generally affordable these days( if attainable). If not emulate!
  3. My PC can definitely run it!

Currently I own a Famiclone, Megadrive, PS2, Xbox, Wii, PSP, XB360, PS3, PC (with extensive GOG library)
I don’t see myself as a collector though. I only buy and play games Im genuinely interested in.

Any other retro gamers out there? Let’s chat!

4 Likes

I am seriously considering getting a Raspberry Pi and setting it up as a retro console. A dude at work made one and it is seriously awesome.

What controller do you use?

2 Likes

I re-buy most of the games I used to play in the 90’s on GOG so I can play them again. Does that count?

I know of guys who do that too, super portable with very little space needed behind TV
I use a wired xbox360 controller for emulation.

Yes it totally counts, I do that as well.
Just bought System Shock 2 last week. I read the review for it in NAG back in 1999 and always wanted to play it. Not dissapointed!

While I would definitely not classify myself as a retro gamer, I do enjoy the hell out of the older classics. I have a fair few of older games I would go back to. Especially older management games like Transport Tycoon Deluxe is a favourite of mine. RCT2 is also in that list.

Also, you probably know of this already, but if you, definitely sub to https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

1 Like

Ah fantastic! I actually read that reddit page once before but forgot about it, thanks for the reminder.

Though I don’t play them I’ve always admired management games, I think they can help with teaching a person how to make long term strategic decisions in real life as well.

1 Like

And the older titles are just so damn good. TTD, RTC, Pharaoh, Theme Hospital, the old SimCity games, hell even Evil Genius. All fantastic management or management type games that are on regular rotation within my playlist.

Then I’m a retro gamer!

I especially enjoy fan remakes or even official remasters of old classics. I own both StarCraft Remastered and the AoE Definitive edition, and I’m hoping EA will pull finger and get someone to remaster one of the classic C&C games. In the meantime, these guys have done a fantastic job:

http://www.openra.net/

Some of my old GOG classics include:

• X-Wing and TIE Fighter
  • The entire Wing Commander series
  • The Quest for Glory series
  • Syndicate and Syndicate Wars
  • Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
  • Jagged Alliance 1 & 2
  • Settlers 3 & 4
  • many more I cannot think of…
1 Like

Another World.

I beat it way back when, and have the remaster on PS4, but for the life of me I can’t finish it.

1 Like

My wife plays a lot of classics. She’s got an emulator on her pc with NES, SNES, Sega Megadrive and such games and she loves them.

i play alot of old nes and snes titles, thanks to my wii, since nintendo doesnt support it anymore, and the virtual console is shut down on there, i have taken the liberties to hack it (jailbreak it) and install some emulators, the leddy is addicted to battle city, mappy, snow bros and baloon fight.

1 Like

I have tried to play some retro games but never get really into it.

I have done the same. Wii is an emulation boss!

Ok try Super Castlevania IV on SNES for a quick jol
or Final Fantasy 3 on SNES for something more involved.
Yoshi’s island on SNES as well.(great art style)

dont compare them to anything else, just jam them for what they are. Amazing for their time:)

@bradbear117 I thin you’ll enjoy this.

So I’ve made a list of the top 100 games I’ve ever played, and because I’m a stats nerd, I’ve ranked them based on a number of subjective metrics. I’ve also added their age to the dataset as well.

At the moment, my top 100 games of all times has an average age of 11.4 years. In my Top 20, there are only 4 games that has been released within the past decade, and only 1 game in that Top 20 that’s been released within 5 years…

So I assume, based on the numbers, I too am a retro gamer?

So, you didn’t list both Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey? I’m pretty sure you raved about both of them, or was the list just compiled before you played them and haven’t updated the list since?

Zelda is at #2, and is the one game released within the last 5 years in the Top 20. Odyssey is at #21

For reference…here is the link to the data

2 Likes

Ah yeah, motherf*cking data!

2 Likes

Good man. 10chars

1 Like

Let me ask you a question. Did you start this list recently and went by memory? Or has this been coming along since you played the games?