Sony to Purchase Bungie for $3.6B 💰

If Microsoft can do it, Sony can do it too! $3.6-billion is a healthy acquisition.

1 Like

I cant keep up with all these anymore

2 Likes

Bungie have been passed around a little over the years. From Microsoft they went to Activision and now to Sony.

There was an immediate commitment to keep the studio independent.

Legendary development studio to remain independent and multi-platform.

So Halo and Destiny are safe from exclusivity deals. At least initially.

1 Like

Pfft… A measly 3.6 bil, that’s like not even equal to the amount of people in this planet. Barely a dollar each.

2 Likes

Ms owns the Halo ip, the kept that when bungie left.

2 Likes

I hope Destiny remains on PC though. But guessing by Sony’a commitment to launching their IPs on PC these days, it seems that PCMR wins across this console exclusivity battle.

2 Likes

Already starting to hear suggestions that MS/Xbox are actively looking at a Japanese acquisition soon too. Konami, SquareEnix, CapCom, Sega?

1 Like

Konami and square are both sony aligned type of companies but sega would be the logical choice, a crapload of iconic IP,s alot of arcade titles that have never been ported to console. Alot of dormant IP’s, i mean theres yakuza, virtua fighter, daytona, sega rally, then theres atlus with persona etc. A goldmine of titles

2 Likes

So Microsoft bought Mojang, creator of one of the biggest games in the world, Minecraft, for 2.5 billion. That deal was already questioned whether a massive game like Minecraft could make make that money back.

Now Sony buys Destiny 2 effectively, for even more money. While I do realize there is many other aspects to this deal than pure sales figures, but I can’t help but think they grossly overpaid for Bungie.

2 Likes

MS bought all the other FPS developers so Sony had to jump haha.

But I agree, it does seem massively overpriced.

1 Like

Destiny will remain on current platforms. They even spoke of it coming to more platforms in the future, whatever those may be.

Perhaps Sony bought them for their experience with GaaS and their technical capabilities. They will probably develop a new exclusive IP down the line.

2 Likes

I think the real question is… Who’s next?

1 Like

1 Like

I think the next big purchase is maybe sony buying Konami, MGS is more associated with ps than with MS or Sony buying Square Enix purely for final fantasy

2 Likes

I’d love to see a Destiny move. It has such rich, deep lore!

2 Likes

Completely agree, not only that but the theme is right up my alley.

1 Like

We have closure. Bungie is now officially a Sony PlayStation property.

3 Likes