Star Trek: Discovery --- of Canons and spacetime travel

Star Trek: Discovery is the first new series in the franchise since Star Trek: Enterprise concluded in 2005. The first episode is set roughly 10 years before the events depicted in the original Star Trek series.

[Mild spoiler] By the second season, the timelines of The Original Series and Discovery start to overlap..

I’ve created this topic to make a place to talk about predictions of what’s going to happen, as well as some of the lesser-discussed themes.

This topic is going to be spoiler-heavy, so if you haven’t seen the show and aren’t up-to-date on the latest episodes and plan to watch it, you might want to avoid reading further. It’s also going to speculation-heavy from my side.

(Also: I wanted to respond to @Solitude’s post in The Official TV Series Thread, but didn’t want to accidentally hijack it with a tangential sub-discussion. Hence this thread.)

2 Likes

This whole post is a spoiler up to episode 8 of season 2. Ye Be Warned.

EDIT: I’ve had a change of heart regarding spoiler tags. I don’t want people who are discussing non-spoilery stuff to receive an e-mail update about a new post in this thread with a massive spoiler on the first line.

Last warning: this whole post is a spoiler.

The Red Angel

We’re at episode 8 of season 2 (“If Memory Serves”) and for awhile I’ve thought that the Red Angel will be a character we know.

Currently, I predict that it will be Michael. It’s a way to write her out of the canonical timeline of the previous Star Trek series and explain her total absence from Spock’s life. It also fits with what we’ve learned about the Angel from Spock’s mind meld with it: it’s human, lonely, and desperate. She is also apparently female, but I don’t remember exactly where that detail was revealed.

I’m not going to read anything. Only on episode 6 or so. Don’t know how many there are. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I still have to make my way thru the first season - or can I skip that?

1 Like

I think it’s good to watch the first season to get introduced to the characters. You miss a lot of development otherwise.

Im really struggling with it in all honesty - I have made it thru 2 episodes in 2 weeks!

1 Like

That’s how you’re supposed to watch it! One episode a week is how it was released :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Seriously, though — I get it. It’s a bit of a slow start, but it gets better.

2 Likes

Hehehe I will happily admit I am not a big star trek/ star wars fan - never have been. Im giving it a chance, because I want something spacey.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

Yep exactly, Killjoys helps a bit but we havent had awesome like that in years! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

the only character i dont like is stamets he almost feels like a forced type of character on the show, almost like they wanted him to be discovery’s scotty. im sure burnham and tilly has the same intelligence know how as him as well as jet reno (im sure thats her name) who i think should be given more screen time as she has the potential to be an interesting addition to the cast, and also since this is supposed to be part of the original timeline im not 100% sold on the changes they’ve made to spock (i think they should have gone with zachery quinto from the movies im sure he would have been available).

2 Likes

You will be happy to hear that I am season 2! Just started it today - yay to loadshedding

3 Likes

Close. No cigar.
Okay, well maybe half a cigar.

1 Like

Don’t want to create expectations or spoil anything for anyone, so wrapping this in tags.

{{MINOR}} Wow the last episode was frustrating to watch. Every choice made, every action taken was so completely… illogical. And the season had such promise too. {{/MINOR}}

{{MAJOR}} This is why allowing time travel in a story that isn’t entirely about time travel (e.g. Back to the Future, Doctor Who, The Butterfly Effect) is always a terrible idea. Except maybe the way it was executed in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). {{/MAJOR}}

1 Like

Im on season 2 ep 7, so not clicking spoilers

Is it just me or does their short jump ships look exactly like the ones used in Stargate Atlantis.

1 Like