Steam Next Fest

The Demo is dead - long live the demo!

Join the Steam Next Fest: June 2021 Edition, with over 700 brand-new demos for fans to Play What’s Next for FREE through Tuesday, June 22nd at (19:00 SAST).

The event features games from around the world across multiple genres, plus developer-hosted livestreams and chats. As an added bonus, The Steam Next Fest is livestreaming its own show Wednesday, June 16th, featuring a select group of demos from 11AM PDT to 1PM PDT.

Call me nostalgic for the PC Format And NAG demo disk days - I love me a demo. And with not a few of them available on Steam for the next few days it can be hard to find the real diamonds in the dirt. So why not share the demo’s you’ve tried and enjoyed. Or even just share the one’s that catch your eye and seem worth checking out.

3 Likes

For the Dirty rally drivers, you may be interested in trying this demo:

Here’s a screenshot - definitely starting to catch up to Dirt in looks:

3 Likes

For the VR players, very old Demo but still gets updated every now and then since this game is Still early access. Made by one guy.

1 Like

Had a quick look at it and agree - it seems pretty solid visually. How cool is it to have an actual dedicated photomode in a rally game :smiley: (I did take a pic or two in game, but have no idea where the heck to find them now. :expressionless: )

Only issue I had was that steering ratio was totally out of whack - turning the physical wheel 90° got the in-game wheel turning a fraction of that - like 15°. I’m sure there’s a wheel configuration setting somewhere, just didn’t have a chance to find it.

2 Likes

On the subject of Steam Demo Events… @Shrike, whatever happened to the development of Nine Noir Lives that you introduced us to last year? The demo hasn’t been updated since January, and I see that release is now scheduled to happen only next year.

1 Like

Yes, the game is stalled due to personal issues. Still on track though just a little slower.

2 Likes

Ahh. I hope nothing too challenging to overcome. Wish them well from us, and let them know we’ll be around to support the game when it does come out.

Still can’t find my pictures from last night but wanted to see what the damage modelling looked like, so drove off the road and used good old F12 to grab a screenshot.

3 Likes

Have you tried the Spain course? There’s a very narrow segment that is guaranteed to at least scratch up the car.

1 Like

Burn the fynbos! So that it may grow…

I enjoyed playing the demo of Terra Nil. It’s a really interesting concept, that of restoring the land but what was also really cool is that your work is not done until you’ve recycled and cleared all the structures you use to replenish the environment.

It’s more a puzzle game where you have to efficiently utilise the tools at hand to restore the land, while using the “green” resources to further fund your terraforming. If you run out of resources you’ll have to restart.

The end result, seeing the animals return, hearing the thunder clouds and see the rain wash the pristine environment that you’ve created is really rewarding.

1 Like

I really enjoyed playing this. Think Mount & Blade open world travelling but with turn-based combat. The level of detail and polish is impressive with an overworld map that looks beautiful. It took a little while to get into the swing of things but very soon I found myself unable to stop playing, even though it was getting late into the night. I was saved, sadly, by the end point of the demo and definitely wanting more.

1 Like