Tech Support Hotline

These are my DNS: 169.1.1.2 and 169.1.1.10

Thanks, I initially just mentioned it to see but I mean it’s not causing any issues, just a minor complaint if anything. I used to be a network and systems admin back in the day, but I been out of that a good while now, so all your terminologies are not completely lost on me.

2 Likes

Those appear to be Afrihost’s DNS servers, so maybe give cloudfare’s a shot.

Cloudflare’s server also supports DNS over HTTPS. Maybe look into that as well. It might resolve a bit slower due to the handshaking, but unless someone along the route is screwing with 1.1.1.1:443 specifically, you should avoid any glaring local DNS issues (assuming Cloudfare is running properly).

Isn’t that OpenDNS’ servers?

Nope. Theirs starts with 216 iirc. They aren’t so simple to remember.
I think “Quad Four” (4.4.4.4) is also a DNS server, but I don’t remember why I haven’t used them before…

1 Like

got busy, so couldn’t reply, but yes trying another DNS could work, I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google DNS) I have used 1.1.1.1 but it sometimes failed on me, like randomly didn’t want to work anymore.

Urgh… putting email together to ask for new hardware is a schlep. Especially when you’re the only one that uses Apple products. Kinda come across (especially by devs and testers) as an elitist or the “special child” in the organisation.

3 Likes

How did you achieve that? I thought companies used standard kit for different jobs.

1 Like

When I joined I was asked what I needed. When I started on day one it was on my desk.

But 2 years now, I am needed a beefier rig so asking to be upgraded from the MacBook Pro 13" to the 16" variant.

2 Likes

Nice to have a company that supports you. My software (autodesk is from 2012) and luckily it works still. I tried installing it at home and it doesn’t install there.

2 Likes

Definately! I do respect my company for that purpose, they do have a good culture.

1 Like

But surely it’s becoming very hard for any business (non-creative media type especially) to justify the expense of providing employees with Mac products? Especially in the current economy? And especially when, as you say, it’s for just one employee and there’s no chance of setting up a reduction of expense with Apple for multiple units.

I mean, when the entry level starts at R44 000 and goes up to over R50 000 (and that’s without any extras) that’s got to be a very tough task to sell to the bosses, regardless of how supportive they are? You could get two ridiculously well specced Windows laptops for the same pile of lettuce.

https://www.istore.co.za/mac/buy-16-inch-macbookpro

MacBook Pro 16-inch (istore.co.za)

3 Likes

Very true, and I guess that is why I get “allowed” to get it, cos it’s the only one. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

So the question is, could you do the same work you do now on a windows system?

1 Like

Simply put, no. For the pure fact that Sketch isn’t available on Windows platform.

That being said, there are other tools that are Windows compatible.

1 Like

If your workflow is better on a mac i see no issue with it. Apple is around for a reason.

3 Likes

That reason is debatable.

1 Like

lol I was wondering if someone would say something like that :smiley: No apple love hehehe

1 Like

I’m all about doing what works for YOU.

2 Likes

Haha that’s what I told him over whatsapp too. The Apple products are crazy expensive.

1 Like

R50k might seem like a lot, but I’ve been at a company where the management did not care about the hardware we worked on. Working on CAD for 8.5 hours a day, this was problematic… Solidworks is notorious for being picky about the hardware it runs on, and the homebrew data configuration system also didn’t help. The end of it was that I started tracking time on my timesheet where I was wrestling with making the hardware work… I spent only two months doing this before my manager approved a SW spec machine. The time I spent fixing things easily justified the hefty hardware price tag.

But the fact is that I didn’t make up the productive hours by spending less time under the hood - I made it up because doing my work was less of a chore, all of a sudden (ironic, isn’t it?). I didn’t get lost on my phone waiting for a screen to load, or took a walk because I knew I was in for a 15 minute opening of a a document. I actually liked sitting at my desk and working again…

3 Likes