Tech Support Hotline

Only crumbs from like chips and bread.

2 Likes

Oh my word… I gagged. Not sure how it ever got so bad, or how much you shed! :nauseated_face:

BUT! Props for the clean up job! Looks great!

2 Likes

My turn to ask for help! My issue is sound related but still I consider it “tech”

So I have my hands on an oldish logitech 5.1 surround pc speaker set (so its 3 aux cables, green black and orange), which i’d like to connect up to our tv. we currently have it plugged in in stereo with only the left/right and subwoofer connected, since the tv only has a headphone audio jack. it has ARC and it has SPDIF (optical out) and the old RCA (stereo).
For more info the tv is a Hisense 50" 50A7100.
The speaker is a Logictech Z506

How do I connect that speaker system to the TV for 5.1 for cheap without it being stereo?
I’ve looked and searched a bit, theres no like optical to aux cable/adapter. theres just the converters, but it seems to convert optical to stereo :confused:

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They exist. I didn’t check locally, but something like this
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945107-REG/startech_icusbaudio7d_7_1_usb_audio.html

or this with aux->rca apapters

Edit: I only looked at the connectors, I didn’t check with direction the inputs and outputs go

1 Like

that seems quite a beefy thing for what essentially just converts 3 aux cables into 1 digital. will give it a look and see if theres “local” pricing. i dont wanna spend hundreds on it, the whole point is for it to be a cheap solution :smiley:

2 Likes

Anyone know why a PC would boot up to the login screen and then suddenly go into a reboot cycle. This then brings up a screen that the PC couldn’t start properly do you want to restart or advanced options. Click restart and it starts normally. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

mmm probable driver issue, try booting into safe mode a few times and see if the same happens.

Could also be a third party service/program starting up that is screwy, also, albeit quite rare, could be the RAM, as faulty RAM can screw around with booting as well. For piece of mind I would also use something like
Crystal disk info (standard) just to make sure the HDD isn’t failing. If possible check Event Viewer for any critical or warning messages, it does not always help, but sometimes it can point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Sounds like Windows Updates broke something. I think under advanced options you can choose to rollback an update.

2 Likes

You’d swear Russia is carpet bombing internet lines, what with the shitty internet connectivity I’ve been experiencing this week. And it’s like weird shit, where websites won’t load, but you can ping IP’s. Things will fail SSL handshakes, then the next minute, it’s fine. Or my favourite, a VPN gives me no connectivity, but no VPN, gives me some connectivity.

Anyone else holding their head and rocking violently in the corner?

3 Likes

I mean, yes. But my internet is fine.

4 Likes

I’ve been having problems with Youtube in the evenings on Afrihost.

1 Like

If you experience issues with internet like that where some sites are not loading but others are, do a ping test to international DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

It is quite telling if your ISP is having issues reaching one but not the other.

Frogfoot has been having a lot of issues reaching Google services but worked fine with CloudFlare.

Gives you an indication of whether it is local or international at least. Sadly most ISP support services just don’t care anymore…

2 Likes

Any Microsoft admins here that can point me in the right direction?

We have a bunch of remote users wanting access to a Sage/Pastel Accounting installation, and I’m getting a tonne of resistance on switching to Sage Cloud.

Right now, there’s a VPN set up that allows one person to VPN into the machine to work on it. However, multiple people need simultaneous access.

I know there’s a terminal server available, but I know nothing about it. Is it it’s own software, or does it just install on Windows Server as a new service, same as you would add a web server, DNS, AD, etc? And then all it would need is an appropriate number of CALs? Is there a difference for server and client CALs?

Thanks

1 Like

@Nimatek might be able to help once he has a minute

1 Like

I am assuming the pastel server is running on an actual server? In this situation I would use terminal server or new name Remote desktop server.

Clients vpn into network then RDP to the terminal server and run pastel from there. Just make sure your pastel license allows multi user so that more than one person can access the pastel companies.

Let me know if you want to get technical on this and I can walk you through it. Very easy and much simpler to implement as the current online options from pastel is limited in what you can do versus running the software.

Just pm me and we can discuss.

2 Likes

What router brand would you guys recomend for good wifi signal, through walls etc…?

2 Likes

Drill some holes and run a cable :sweat_smile:

I can’t really recommend a brand, as any brand will have good and bad models. It will also depend on how many walls, what the walls are made of, how many rooms you want to cover, etc etc. You can get cheap TP-Link routers with 5DBi antenna, but the web interface doesn’t have https, rarely, if ever, get firmware updates, have functions that don’t work right. But there’s other TP-Link products that get good reviews… I personally avoid typical home routers and go for Mikrotik, as you know they’ll patch security vulnerabilities fast, and you’ll get firmware updates for years. You won’t use a fraction of the capabilities, which is why they come with a quick setup for the less advanced users.

The Mikrotik WAPac devices are great. strong devices, but I’ve had so many of the most recent model die on me with long runs of PoE. I doubt you’d be running a 100 meter cable though so it shouldn’t be an issue. And they’re dual band, so you get both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections.

1 Like

Why would a PC take 5 minutes to run POST, and only then start Windows? The PC runs fine once in Windows, and even the Windows startup is about 20 seconds.

Its a Ryzen 5600G, 16GB ram, and runs on a single SSD 240GB.

I updated the motherboard to latest firmware, and tried playing with the bios settings to enable fast boot. I also enabled verboase boot mode to see what is happening, but it shows nothing.

Finally, I removed the dedicated GPU and booted off the onboard (set to embedded GPU in bios) and nothing changes. Literally 5 minutes to POST.

1 Like

try taking out your ram and leaving a single stick in, then try to boot again, if it is still slow, remove the one you have in and try the other one (i am assuming you have 8x2) just to see if the ram might be slowing it, try alternating the slots used as well if it is still slow. If it starts booting fast again after removing one of the sticks, as a test place back both modules and try to boot again, if it is slow again, then it is most likely that module, if booting is fast still, then a good old memory re-seat should now have fixed the problem.

If however, after all these steps it still boots slowly, we will then take a look at some other possible troubleshooting steps.

2 Likes

Thanks, will give it a shot

1 Like